Please listen to my starter and tell me what's wrong

I want to revisit this thread because, in spite of getting lots of "miles" out of my rebuilt starter, it is now doing the same thing. In fact, I got more miles out of the rebuild than I did the original, likely because of how I used the button differently (see above).

What I'd like to know is if anyone has found the exact part match for the bearing. Indy_WR450 suggested a way to get the exact bushing in rulon from a distributor. However, when I call the distributor (Tri-Star Plastics/tstar.com) , they tell me, in spite of what the catalog implies, that the part number (see Indiy's post a few messages back) is a special order. This unfortunately means a minimum order of something like 500 pieces and lost of bucks.

So, has anyone successfully replaced the rear bushing/bearing in the starter of a WR450?

My 06 WR 450 is making that same screeching noise when i try to start it,cold or hot. also if i stall it, it seems like the starter is engaging and it makes that death sound. I have switched to kicking it but was wondering if anyone found a solution to the problem w/o having to buy a new starter :cool:

Just for those that have the same problem in the future do the fix right and buy:

9mm id x 13mm od Rulon bushing x 10mm long and cut it to the length needed without the need to shim!

Rulon is an excellent dry self lubricating bearing material.

Rulon-Meldin Part # MRS0913-10 is a sleeve and #MRF0913-10 is a flanged end sleeve.

Go to page 16 of this catalog: http://www.rulon-meldin.com/media/documents/S0000000000000001016/RulonFluoropolymerBearings.pdf

US Distributors of Rulon-Meldin Products:

http://www.rulon-meldin.com/html/distributorfinder/distributor_finder.asp

:applause: For all of you who don't know now ya know...This guy's head not only has a brain but it also has a cage of death with like 10 trials bikes ridin around and around in it. And in the back near the medula oblongata is a roll up door with a full service bike shop. Every single time I have had a serious issue and posted it in this forum a couple days go by then a puff of smoke appears behind my Monitor as I check my post for replies...and Indy grants another wish.

BTW have daily ridden my 05 since new and the easy button is still workin nice. Used daily. Although I hit it in like 1-2 second intervals.:cool:

My 06 WR 450 is making that same screeching noise when i try to start it,cold or hot. also if i stall it, it seems like the starter is engaging and it makes that death sound. I have switched to kicking it but was wondering if anyone found a solution to the problem w/o having to buy a new starter :cool:

Check the quote in my previous post then read back through these threads. Think they nailed it down.

This is a very easy and cheap fix.Strip the starter then to remove the rear bush just thread a thread tap or bolt thru the bush to push it out of the rear housing.Now go to a bearing shop and get a new bush.THE NEW BUSH WILL BE LONGER AND HAVE A LARGER OUT SIDE DIAMETER but the shaft side will be correct.(take the armeture to ensure correct inside diameter.Now find a mate or machine shop with a lathe .The can easy run down the outside diameter to fit in the housing snug then just cut it to the excact length.This cost me $7 ausstralian about nothing american? for a bush and a six pack of bear.Mine ran great after wards.Yamaha also tried to sell me a new starter for $4oo aus and said it couldn't be repaired.?For the price of a new starter you could get a cheap lathe and make a few to sell to other riders.Hope this helps dave.

:applause: For all of you who don't know now ya know...This guy's head not only has a brain but it also has a cage of death with like 10 trials bikes ridin around and around in it. And in the back near the medula oblongata is a roll up door with a full service bike shop. Every single time I have had a serious issue and posted it in this forum a couple days go by then a puff of smoke appears behind my Monitor as I check my post for replies...and Indy grants another wish.

BTW have daily ridden my 05 since new and the easy button is still workin nice. Used daily. Although I hit it in like 1-2 second intervals.:cool:

With all due respect to you, dirtysouth, and especially to Indy,:busted: although I share your assessment of Indy's knowledge and helpfulness, in this case, what you post as a statement of Indy solving the problem, didn't. Look at my post dated 1-11-08--the right bearing is not really available. My point here is not to say Indy missed one, rather that the problem is still not solved. I'm still looking for a way to order the right sized bearing.

Well, after messin with this thing for a couple of weeks:bonk:

I had to take it in and replace the starter motor. cost me around $320.

its the only money i have really spent on the bike besides a tire and oil changes in the last 2 years.

yea i had that same sound and i took my starter apart and just lubed the bearings and now it works great hope this helps

anthony

I had fixed it with changing of starter clutch and more parts.

But after 1 year of riding, samething happen again.

I want to have a good alternative answer for the problem.

Thank you!

Paul