HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishwater

Why do I have an external throttle return spring?

6 posts in this topic

I was checking my throttle cables on my 01 426 & after removing the plastic cover I found a small return spring hooked up to the top of the wheel when looking at the cables directly on the carb. I have also noticed a noise when I move the throttle with the engine off as the spring is contacting the cover. The throttle returns but very (in my opinion) very slowly. The cables are not frayed & I don't think this spring belongs there but it does look factory. The throttle end of the cables look fine but they do move when I open or close the throttle.

Check your manual .. for the carb picture.

I did & I do not see the spring. I also checked the parts breakdown on micro fiche & do not see it. I do not think it should be there?

The FCR carburetor has no internal spring as traditional round slide carbs did. They are equipped with a torsion coil spring at the throttle cable wheel. Check the throttle shaft and the slide itself for dirt and gum if it is still stiff with both the cables disconnected.

The FCR carburetor has no internal spring as traditional round slide carbs did. They are equipped with a torsion coil spring at the throttle cable wheel. Check the throttle shaft and the slide itself for dirt and gum if it is still stiff with both the cables disconnected.

So the spring is supposed to be there? I did not see it in any pics in the manual or on the parts breakdown. This spring is horizontal & mounted to the top of the wheel as well as the bracket where the throttle cables are adjusted.

Also, should I hear it contact the plastic cover when the throttle is opened & closed? The spring is stretched in one area where the wheel contacts it, can I tighten the spring at all or should I just replace it?

The only spring you should have is the one shown on the throttle shaft in the illustration below. The shaft is not called out because it isn't serviced, but the accelerator pump rod, #37, is pointing directly to it. If there is any other spring present, it was added on, probably to solve some kind of problem.

Remember, I said a torsion coil. A torsion coil, sometimes called a hairpin or mousetrap spring, winds around something and rotates it. A compression coil pushes, and a tension coil pulls. You should only have a torsion coil.