HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
streakman1

So many carbs, which one works best?

20 posts in this topic

wheelnut- I'll remember that name when you get the Mikuni and jetting problems crop up..:confused:

Another happy 650L Edelbrock user..:lol:

Is there a problem That I should know about?

The add I saw for the Mikuni pumper said that it comes jetted for the correct elevation info that you provide.

"FITS: Honda XR650L / XR600R

ORDERING NOTES: During checkout, please note the performance options and the elevation you generally ride."

Is there a problem That I should know about?

The add I saw for the Mikuni pumper said that it comes jetted for the correct elevation info that you provide.

"FITS: Honda XR650L / XR600R

ORDERING NOTES: During checkout, please note the performance options and the elevation you generally ride."

There's a thread about putting a Mikuni on a 650L over at 4strokes. Seems the poor guy had nothing but trouble with it.

I put a Mikuni on my DR a few years ago, same thing- took me weeks to get the jetting in the ballpark. Very finiky piece of :lol: .

I put the Edelbrock on my 650R a few years ago, liked it, decided to try one on my 650L. As previously stated, all's I had to do was adjust the idle. :confused:

I put the Edelbrock on my 650R a few years ago, liked it, decided to try one on my 650L. As previously stated, all's I had to do was adjust the idle. :lol:

Tirebiter - I've got one on my 650L mostly because of the vacuum operated one was a pos. My question to you is the Edelbrock that much better than the stock carb on the 650R to justify the price? I just picked up a new 650R for Christmas and just finishing up the uncork mods now.

Tirebiter - I've got one on my 650L mostly because of the vacuum operated one was a pos. My question to you is the Edelbrock that much better than the stock carb on the 650R to justify the price? I just picked up a new 650R for Christmas and just finishing up the uncork mods now.

I am guessing the carb for the L did not justify the price, therefore you are asking about the price justification on the R!

Keihin FCR MX 41mm all the way on my XR628HRC.

IMG_3908.jpg

Yes my bike is an XR600 but I fitted electric start.

Yes it retains the kick start.

Yes the FCR clears the frame - easily!!!

Yes itr clears the electric starter - even easier!!!

A small mod to the tank was necessary - nothing major though.

Sudco said it couldn't be done - would never fit - they wanted to sell me their antique FCR - the old slant body FCR. I said no thanks, I'll take the FCRMX with all the options - choke, hot start and ACV valve (meaning no backfiring on decel)

I am guessing the carb for the L did not justify the price, therefore you are asking about the price justification on the R!

No, you completely misunderstand my question. The replacement Edelbrock for the 650L was much more than justified, mostly due to the cable operated slide versus the vacuum operated slide on the stock 650L carb. The pump on the Edelbrock, I know, also makes a big difference. My question about the 650R is if the Edelbrock replacement makes enough difference over the stock 650R carb to justify the cost. I feel I got much more than my money's worth of difference on the L; is the R difference that much more noticeably improved running the Edelbrock versus the stock carb with the modified jetting?

The main reasons I put the Edelbrock on the R was the ease of tuning for different altitudes, cures the bog, and it doesn't flood after a spill.

The adjustible accelerator pump screw is a nice addition also.