Hard Clutch on YZF 426?

you can add my 01 426 to the arm pump list. I've already pulled the cable from both ends, lubed the cable, and greased the lever pivot and cable ends. No change. I'm getting ready to replace the clutch plates (both fiber and metal) to see if that helps. I've got another thread going for recommendations on aftermarket clutch kits.

Pretty much any 125 is going to have lighter clutch pull than a big bore bike. I think there is a clutch mod that has something to do with lengthening the actuator arm so that it is easier to pull. Do a search for 'clutch mod' or something like that.

By the way, I don't even have a clutch lever on my 426 anymore ?

I would imagine that the big bikes take more effort due to heavier springs in the clutch assembly. Have you checked the clutch basket for grooving? Have you eliminated a pinched cable as a possible cause? My '02 doesn't feel overly hard to pull, could be cause I'm used to my H-D.

Take the actuator arm from a YZ400, I believe it is longer and therefore gives more leverage. However it comes at a cost, more lever travel. As stated above, definitely check cable condition, lube, double check routing and you can even rebore the hole in your lever (nearer the pivot bolt) to gain more leverage. Some after market replacement levers have 3 holes in them to vary the leverage to your liking. The magura is a great unit that is smooth but it didnt seem to make it that much easier to pull in.

• 4 weeks later...

Definitely get a Magura Jack Hydraulic Clutch. I just put one on my '02 426 for the very same reason. It made such an incredible difference in the pull, and was easy to install. I love it, and wish that every bike made came with one. I got mine from an online site. I know that both Motosport.com and rmatvmc.com have them for our bikes. Both sites sell them for about $200.00. It sounds pricey, but once you take it for a ride you will know it is money well spent. If you don't like shopping online, you could go to your local shop and they could order you one. Or get one from magura direct. You'll love it!!!!

On my 2000 426 the clutch pull was always tough, when replacing the lever after a crash I was pleasantly suprised at how smooth and easy it was but, shortly there after it was stiff again.