'08 Xr 650?

the 800cc or bigger option would be a good move for Honda. I dont like the fact that they'regetting rid of the 650, but, 8 years is a long time to keep the same bike, while everyone else is inching forward. Look at the KTM 950/990 Adventure. Or the BMW 1300 (or whatever it is). Honda should make something like these. But, they should try to improve on the 650R, not get rid of it. Besides, how'm I gonna get a brand new one next year if they dont make em anymore? Different strokes, for diffrent folks. Just my $.02.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how many times is this going to be discussed? The XR is no longer going to be made. 07 is the last year, kaput, finito, no mas, adios, ciao, etc, etc, etc
Well...yes and no. You have to know the Honda marketing game. Years ago XL's were dropped...only to be renamed XR-L's to capitalize on the (then) performance image of the XR line. Now, XR's are magically being renamed CRF's for the same reason.

In fact it's already happened with the smaller air-cooled bikes bikes. Even the ubiquitous Honda 50 has been a Z50, XR50 and now (wow!)...a CRF50 in it's decades of existance!

No doubt some kind of agreeable 650R replacement will eventually come out...regardless of what it's called! :applause:

Infernalcombustion, I dont see any whining I see facts stated.

KTM's are high maintenance, and not as durable as an xr!

The dr800 does not exist in America! And looks like a plastic pooh pile!

No one actually knows what Honda is going to do!

Half the fun of this forum is reading the sometimes demented, and twisted opinions that poeple have, and then calling them on it! Usually get no response.

So let us pick each others comments apart, it will result in more accurate statements being made... eventually anyway!

Thoughts, anyone? Am I crazy or not?

My 520 that I bought new in '02 now (new owner) has a hair over 10,000 miles on it. The only engine parts that have been replaced are the countershaft o'ring and a waterpump seal. No kidding. The bike had a great engine otherwise I hated it. My 650R has just about the same miles and as far as engine parts I have replaced the countershaft seal and that's all. Both bikes run great to this day and neither use any oil to speak of. The Honda is a much better bike than that KTM as far as handling/suspension etc. Maintenance wise they have been about identical. Just my experience. I hope someone at least finds it interesting.

A couple of very reliable sources confimed the CRF600 rumors for me in San Felipe at the 1000 last year. It is fuel injected and it is being tested right now.

If this does indeed turn out to be true I hope these bike don't bring with them the maintenance schedules/valve/piston/timing chain/crank issues that some of the other red bikes have. If so I won't be buying one. If I am going to spend $7000+ on a dirtbike it better run at least 10,000 miles before any major engine components need to be replaced. The life spans of the engines in some of the current bikes are completely unacceptable TO ME.

If this does indeed turn out to be true I hope these bike don't bring with them the maintenance schedules/valve/piston/timing chain/crank issues that some of the other red bikes have. If so I won't be buying one. If I am going to spend $7000+ on a dirtbike it better run at least 10,000 miles before any major engine components need to be replaced. The life spans of the engines in some of the current bikes are completely unacceptable TO ME.

Ah, give the man a prize!

why would honda sell a bike that lasts for ever (their profit about 2-3K)

when they can sell a bike that will last for about 1000 miles then need

a: a rebuilt engine that needs genuine honda parts (profit about 3-4k every 1000 miles)

and or B: sell a new bike every 1000 miles profit another 2k

so bike X (any xr model) makes Honda 2k for every 10,000 miles

while bike Y makes honda a profit of 20k in that same time frame

Honda claims they are looking out for the environment by dropping the 2 strokes, but yet they make these bikes that require so many new parts so frequently. What's the environmental impact of those things? Aluminum is incredibly energy intensive to produce.

All I know is that I love my 650. I will buy a brand new one this spring. If the 650 replacement is a CRF with the attendant issues I will officially be done with Honda when my new 650R is worn out. They don't make a sigle dirt bike that interests me.

Something has changed at Honda corporate headquarters.

FWIW. I have a friend who works part time for CycleWorld. He told me that one of the American Honda big wigs told him this past fall that '07 is the last year for the 650L. He didn't know about the R. I am doing a Baja ride with him in few days. I will try to see what else he knows about he subject.

Yeah, we have the same issues with a CBR1100XX replacement. Honda said they are only concerned with sales volume and no public liability, not the horsepower war.

Maybe they spent too much money on R&D for the HondaJet.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...