Greasing swing arm

Has anyone tried drilling and tapping the swingarm and putting in a grease gun fitting? We just got a TTR 230 and it has 2 on the swingarm from the factory (although it is a plain bearing swingarm). I don't think this would work with the rear linkage, but there is a hollow spot in the swingarm to let the grease sit. I would think the same thing would work with the roller bearings.

Paul

Has anyone tried drilling and tapping the swingarm and putting in a grease gun fitting? We just got a TTR 230 and it has 2 on the swingarm from the factory (although it is a plain bearing swingarm). I don't think this would work with the rear linkage, but there is a hollow spot in the swingarm to let the grease sit. I would think the same thing would work with the roller bearings.

Paul

In order for the grease to reach the bearing rollers, you would have to not only drill the swingarm, but the bearing cage also, or the grease wouldn't be able to reach where it's needed. Then, when installing the bearings in the swingarm, you have to align the drilled hole in the bearing with the drilled hole in the swingarm.

I drilled out and inserted zerks in my Blaster when I replaced all the bearings, and I can tell you that this isn't a job for cheap bits in a hand drill, it takes some force and a good bit to drill through the bearing cage. I used my drill press and put the bearing in a vice to hold it, and just took my time-you don't want the bearing getting hot, use tons of lube.

Sorry, no pics of how it turned out-I didn't have a digi cam back then, and sold the machine shortly after doing the bearings (it was a buy low, fix, and sell high project)

Take a look at DRZ's-all rear suspension bearings are greasable (that's where I got my idea from)

Guys I don't mean to be a party poop but drilling the swingarm is not a good idea !!! If you understood anything about metalurgy or failure analisys you would understand that drilling a hole could possibly be the beginning of the end for your swingarm. If anywhere a crack would start this will be the place. I can only say if you must drill a hole in the swingarm make sure to use a very high speed drill motor and bit. Remember, these new swingarms are not machined, they are cast. Good luck !

I have had grease zerks in the swingarm of my '02 WR since the very first day I brought it home from the dealership. I drilled a small hole in the underside of the swingarm on each side, between the bearings. I installed 90 degree zerks ( the smallest thread size I could get) in there and haven't had any problems with them. I still manually grease the swingarm and linkage about every 2 months during the riding season, but I can still put a small squirt of fresh grease in between major disassembles. The bearings and the swingarm are all still in perfect condition. My .02- flame away-? - WR Dave.

This is a hard thing to get a good pic of. The zerk is the dark looking spot in the middle of the underside of the swingarm on either side. Remember, I don't use this as the main way to grease the swingarm bearings, but as a convienient way to make sure there is always fresh grease at the swingarm bearings. The rocker and linkage bearings are easy to service quickly without pulling the swingarm every week or two. Good Luck- WR Dave.

100_1015.jpg

100_1014.jpg

You can believe what you want ,but I know it works. The grease goes in between the 2 bearing cages and fills the space between the two bearings and the sleeve style bearing race on my'02 WR swingarm and is forced into the needle bearings. WR Dave