HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeZ

XRR - carb pissing out drain vent after rebuild

9 posts in this topic

OK, here's the story. 2001 XR650R.

Just rebuilt my carb and it is leaking gas out the bottom drain vent. This is the rearward facing vent on the bottom on the oem carb bowl. There is the screw that lets this valve drain to clear the bowl, but that is tight and functioning.

It only happens when the gas is on. Gas is on, carb leaks. Gas is off, carb does not leak, but I can use the same vent to drain the gas, so the valve to shut the vent is working.

The tube that I have venting from this port goes down from the carb. If I raise the tube above the level of the carb. No problem, no leaks. The bike runs like a top.

Could my float level be too high or something like that????

I am kind of new to this carb business. Help! Very annoying...

-Z

The float needle is not seating do to crude on the needle or the float level was altered during the rebuild. Shoot some carb cleaner up the float needle tube first.

Thanks for the tip. I wasn't sure if that could be it. I will pull it apart again and make sure everything is clean.

I was just heading down to the store to get some decent hex screws to replace the soft as butter hardware that is on the carb now.

I will advise of progress...

-Z

Sounds like you may have a float jet not sealing. Either some contaminant around the point of the jet, or possibly little tab that lifts/lowers the is bent out of its normal position.

Mike.

The pin that holds the float in place can easily slide out from it holes. If you had the carb at a weird angle while putting it together, it may not be centered correctly. You should be able to drop the float bowl without removing the carb again.

Like the other two said, check the float level, and make sure the float needle is clean.

It's very common for the float to get stuck. The best fix i've seen. and tried is this...Take out the "float needle"-- lightly sand the 4 edges to remove anything that will keep it from floating. Also, lower the float level just a touch...Do this by removing the float, and gently bending in the correct direction.

First try... some success.

The floats seem to be moving freely and seating OK.

I cleaned the float section and re-adjusted the needle jet. It is leaking less than before, but still leaking.

Going to pull the carb apart again and clean everything further.

-Z

Is it a new float needle? If so take bowl off carb and cycle the needle a few times, make sure it seats freely, other than that only other thing would be float level being set too high and flooding the overflow circuit. More than likely if its a constant p*ss, its the float needle sticking, if its intermittent its the float level.