HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xlr8r

clutch pressure plate torque on 650L?

3 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I have a 2001 650L that I'm puting back together and I can't find any torque values for the clutch pressure plate bolts in the manual. I found a general torque value for 10mm bolts (which they are) of 25 ft lbs. That seems a bit high to me since there are springs involved. Anyone know? Is there a general torque rule for all clutch bolts?

Thanks for the help!

Hey guys, I have a 2001 650L that I'm puting back together and I can't find any torque values for the clutch pressure plate bolts in the manual. I found a general torque value for 10mm bolts (which they are) of 25 ft lbs. That seems a bit high to me since there are springs involved. Anyone know? Is there a general torque rule for all clutch bolts?

Thanks for the help!

The general torque value is based on the size of the threaded part of the bolt, not the head of the bolt. The 10mm hex head bolts on the clutch are actually 6mm bolts. They will strip long before 25 ft-lbs. I think that the spec for 6mm bolts in aluminum is 9 ft-lbs.

Yup, that sounds right. I knew it was a dumb question as I typed it. Thanks for the answer!