HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
flintlock28

re-packing stock muffler??

6 posts in this topic

I tried the search function, but I got ambiguous results.....

For a 2004 Yz450f, what are the steps for repacking the exhaust? ?

I just picked up a Moose 4 stroke universal kit. I'm assuming I drill out the rivets on the end that meets the mid pipe correct??

Any tips would be appreciated.

thanx:confused:

Yep. Drill the rivets out closest to the mid pipe. Slide the can off of the core, remove the old packing. Wrap the core in the new packing and slide the can back over the core. Install new rivets.

After removing the can and unwrapping the core, make sure all the perforations (holes) in the core are open. A small brass bristle brush works great for cleaning the core.

After rewrapping the core, you can use masking tape to help hold the packing in place as you slide the can back on.

Don't forget to use high temp silicone between the can and pipe to help seal the muffler chamber.

Thanks guy's....one last question....How tightly wound should the wrap be??

Do you just want the wrap to fill the cavity? or do you want it to be somewhat tight (compressed)??

Thanks guy's....one last question....How tightly wound should the wrap be??

Do you just want the wrap to fill the cavity? or do you want it to be somewhat tight (compressed)??

I tighten mine just so it won't slide off the core. Its not super tight, but not loose either.