HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mrrubenstein

what oil to use

13 posts in this topic

i had a 03 yz 250 and i used to use 80w or 85w when i would do oil changes now i have a new 450 can i use same stuff or should i do something different?

Welcome to TT. Use the search feature for FAQ's. Its in the upper right corner of the forums.

Welcome to TT. Use the search feature for FAQ's. Its in the upper right corner of the forums.

haha! so thats where that damn search button is! i always went through a damn search engine to find what i was looking for on this site! thats time i will never get back... ha:banghead:

Amsoil full synthetic. Dont skimp out on the 4stroke oil.

I was going to buy a case of amsoil before moving to Mexico but my local yami mechanic talked me out of it and recommended the yamahlube semisynth. Of course everyone has their opinion so who knows? I've heard great things about amsoil though!

I was going to buy a case of amsoil before moving to Mexico but my local yami mechanic talked me out of it and recommended the yamahlube semisynth. Of course everyone has their opinion so who knows? I've heard great things about amsoil though!

Amsoil is the bomb!:thumbsup:

I'm new to yamaha with just over 10hrs on my 07 450yz. My previous was a honda 05crf 450. With the honda and the seperate oil bath system I ran regular castrol 10w40 on the clutch side and ran the castrol synthetic blend on engine side. I have read and was told not to run anything but standard oil on clutch side because any semi or fully synthetic would cause the clutch to slip. Is this true or not? I keep reading that alot of you run synthetics in the yamis. Is there any real benefit to running a synthetic blend as opposed to plain? I always did this in my honda for the perceived added protection of my piston, rings etc. Alot of you just say change it regularly but would a synthetic blend be ok to run in my yamaha and would it be a benefit to doing this?:thumbsup:

Rotella 15w-40, white jug (non-synthetic), $8.49/gallon. I've always used it and when I bought my Rekluse I was not surprised to see that Rotella is recommended by them.

I am not an 'oil guru', but I have tried many high $$$ sythetics, etc. and I know when my bike is shifting well and when its not. I know that with our wet clutches an oil can be too 'slick' for good operation.

As stated earlier, I am not an oil guru, but from what I understand about synthetics the main benefit is that the oil stays in spec longer than dino oil. I run Mobile 1 in my car and truck, but since we all change the oil in our YZ's within 10 hours or less (right everybody?) the benefit of that is null.

I also think that most synthetics still have not been able to match a good dino oil in sheer strength which is crucial when being used as a gear oil.

I don't know why I'm spouting off about oil...like I said, I'm the master of "I heard this", or "I think that" :smirk: Maybe Grayracer will jump in here and save you all from my ignorance :thumbsup:

Anyway...use any good oil and change it often!:devil: