Primary Drive Chain - A Review

Compare any chain to the stock chain and you have a winner. I have about 10 hrs. on my '06 YZ450. I have adjusted the chain every ride and ran out of travel last week end. I decided to take it out for one last ride before christmas and broke 18 teeth off of my counter sprocket. Piece of junk. (the chain that is). All of my buddies ride the same bike and currently run the Primary Drive x-ring chain and hardley ever adjust them. I am buying one no doubt.

You mean rear sprocket? If not, you are fast!!!

I broke one off my rear sprocket and that's what prompted me to get the kit. My DID came in so time to change it out. Perhaps the next purchase will be a PD o-ring.

About the YZ125 chain....there's a lot of power difference between a YZ450F and a YZ125 so it should naturally last longer. Plus I'm 240lbs and only now starting to ride 10-20 seconds per lap full throttle....looking for more though!

Rich

O-ring chains do not rob any significant horsepower, at least not because of the O-rings, and they are not necessarily ponderously heavy, either. The Regina ORN6 sealed chain is all of 5 ounces heavier that it's non-sealed counterpart. The legitimate weight gain should be in the form of extended roller sleeves and longer pins to accommodate the rings. The rings themselves weigh next to nothing.

As far as power goes, only 8 rings are ever pivoting at any one time, the ones at the points where the chain is either feeding onto or off of a sprocket, and of those, only the ones in front move as much as 10 or 15 degrees. I am still waiting for anyone to produce a dyno test that can even measure the power lost to a good sealed chain that isn't lost to a non-sealed one.

That said, PD is a low cost chain, and you sometimes get what you pay for. They tend to be very heavy and bulky because they use lower grade materials and make up for the loss of strength through increased mass. I would think twice before mounting one, especially a sealed one, on an '06/7.

• 11 months later...

I ran one of their o-ring chains on my '07 YZ250 and only needed to adjust it once. Its held up great.

I put one on my 450 recently, its got close to 200 miles on it right now, haven't adjusted it yet, but it needs it.

• 1 year later...
Are the Primary Drive O ring chains stiff at first?? Do they feel like the have a little drag on the wheel.

I just put one on, and it feels like it has a lot of drag!!

They are a little stiff out of the box, like any other new o-ring chain. Make sure you have the chain adjusted properly and be sure the wheel is lined up. Sometimes the marks on the YZF chain blocks are hard to read. On the 426 (guessing the 450 is the same) you count the lines from the back side of the chain block, not the bolt (or front) side.... kind of a common mistake.

There is a rumour that PD chains are a major brand - rebranded. I am trying my first chain with rubber in it this season. A Primary Drive X-ring. It's 30% $$ less than other x-rings and so will have to see how many hours it goes.

I heard that KMC makes them for PD, but I'm not sure. I switched from PD to Regina last year. But, I wasn't happy with the way my Regina's stretched and last weekend, my wifes chain stretched so bad in 18 miles that it de-railed... ?

Yesterday, I ordered 2 x-ring PD chains and steel sprockets. I'm going back to what I know works... or at least it works for me. :banghead: