07' WR450 vs. 07' KTM-450SXF for Desert & Lite MX use

Going to be doing the following:

MX Tracks for practice (not racing, mostly vet track stuff).

Monthly District37 AMA - Enduro's/Hare&Hound/GP's - So-Cal Desert Terrain.

Monthly friends/family rides at Ocotillo/Stoddard/Lucerne (mostly desert terrain, sand-wash's, rocky hill climbs with some single track, etc.)

Height 5'7"

Weight 150lbs

Age 39

Riding ability: Nov/Int MX'er with little to no desert racing experience. :-)

I want a 4-stroke, something the "feels" light and must have e-start. From what I've read the new WR feels far lighter and flickable to previous years, the KTM sounds awesome as well but possibly more expensive.

I know there are numerous differences but would love to hear from experienced so-cal desert racers as to which would most likely be the best choice.

Thanks everyone.

I love my WR, but I wish it was better on an MX track than it is. I am opting to pick up a YZ as well (only because I have put so much time and money into my WR). The WR is a great trail/desert bike, but an MX machine it isn't.

If I could do it over with the current options available, I think I would be riding a pumpkin. I want an electric start MXer with a headlight option that simply plugs in. The KTM is almost there.

I love my WR, but I wish it was better on an MX track than it is. I am opting to pick up a YZ as well (only because I have put so much time and money into my WR). The WR is a great trail/desert bike, but an MX machine it isn't.

If I could do it over with the current options available, I think I would be riding a pumpkin. I want an electric start MXer with a headlight option that simply plugs in. The KTM is almost there.

The KTM-450SXF does give you an increbible MX'er that should be able to be geared for competition desert stuff, no problem. You could always put on a Baja Quick Change kit for a couple hundy $$ for the headlight. Then you would have the ultimate machine??

So far, I'm leaning towards the KTM.

I had the same debate when I bought my '05 WR. Everyone I race with loves their KTM's, but They sell them after one year. After that they feel the KTM is a grenade waiting to go off. I did 18 races on my WR in D-37 and my bike runs as well as the day I picked it up. Think about how long you want to own your new bike before you buy it.

And I've never bought a bike for it's MX prowess if I'm also doing alot of trail riding/ desert racing. Some of the most fun I've had on a MX track is blasting around the Vet track at Elsinore on an XR-650.

I want a 4-stroke, something the "feels" light and must have e-start.

I think we all want that. But a WR450 may never be "light". Above 15 mph though, its as light as a feather, as is every other bike.

I have an 05 and its a great bike. I wish it were lighter sometimes, but then again, a lighter bike is only going to solve a small number of my riding problems. But thats me.

I would imagine that both bikes are really good and would make excellent desert racers if the pilot is competent.