DR650 or DRZ400?

Help me pick my next bike!

I've narrowed down my options to the DR650 ro the DRZ400. I plan on using the bike for commuting in Los Angeles with a few long road trips a year and weekend dirt road exploring (Death Valley, etc.).

A little about me: 5'8", 145lbs, 2yrs riding exp. Never ridden on dirt before!

Current ride: GSXR600

Thanks!

For your useage, the DR650 may be better as the seat height is lower and there are lowering kits available. If your dirt riding is focused on dirt roads and not severe terrain, the 650 can be made to handle better by stiffening the suspension--ditto for the DRZ400 (I assume you are talking about the S version). The 400 is a more modern design with better stock suspension and water cooling, and the 650 is air cooled which is one less thing to go wrong. The 650 also has more power.

Help me pick my next bike!

I've narrowed down my options to the DR650 ro the DRZ400. I plan on using the bike for commuting in Los Angeles with a few long road trips a year and weekend dirt road exploring (Death Valley, etc.).

A little about me: 5'8", 145lbs, 2yrs riding exp. Never ridden on dirt before!

Current ride: GSXR600

Thanks!

Niether will be as good on the road as your current ride. The 400 will be straining on the freeways. While I'm sure a weekend trip to DV is possible, I don't think it would be very comfortable on the 400. The 650 would be a lot better. Don't expect the DR650 to pass cars on the freeway like your 600 though. The 650 will have only half, or even less, the peak horsepower.

Get the 650. Its a better road bike. Truthfully, thats all it is. Some dirt road exploring is fine on it, but dont try to ride any trails or anything, the DR650 is just not a capable trail bike. I have had 2 friends with DR650s, and neither of them was able to do any serious off road riding with us, but for what you are talking about, you should be fine.

The DRZ 400 will cruise at 60 all day long. It's light years ahead of the 650. As stated earlier, neither of these will be a good street bike. The DRZ 400 will give you a great offroad experience. It has a great motor, advanced suspension, incredible throttle response.

Get the 650. Its a better road bike. Truthfully, thats all it is. Some dirt road exploring is fine on it, but dont try to ride any trails or anything, the DR650 is just not a capable trail bike. I have had 2 friends with DR650s, and neither of them was able to do any serious off road riding with us, but for what you are talking about, you should be fine.

I have to differ. The DR650 is a fine trail bike, it just depends on what you define as trail riding. I've had mine on some pretty nasty stuff and it was quite capable. It won't match the off road ability of a DRZ400 or my XR400 but it is comfortable, has good power, is reliable, and is a good commuter bike. I've had 2 DR650's and I put 10k miles on my '96 before I sold it to get my XR400. I beat the tar out of it and it alway kept running great. I'd love to get another one.

• 2 weeks later...

I've ridden both. For the type of riding you are talking about, get a DR650. The bike is fun and comfortable on the street and will easily exceed 100 MPH. It is also a blast on dirt roads. On the trails it is fine, if you don't try to go too fast.

The DRZ is a better dirt bike. But it has a tall, uncomfortable seat and feels very top heavy.

I have to differ. The DR650 is a fine trail bike, it just depends on what you define as trail riding. I've had mine on some pretty nasty stuff and it was quite capable. It won't match the off road ability of a DRZ400 or my XR400 but it is comfortable, has good power, is reliable, and is a good commuter bike. I've had 2 DR650's and I put 10k miles on my '96 before I sold it to get my XR400. I beat the tar out of it and it alway kept running great. I'd love to get another one.

+10:thumbsup: i have a dr650 myself, and while it isnt going to keep up with the xr's or drz's in a race i havent found anywhere i had the balls to go that my bike couldnt go. i rode some gnarly single track up in the kennedy meadows area and it did just fine. i was following 2 guys, one on a cr250 and the other on an xr400 and i went everywhere they did. it just took me longer to get there. from what it sounds like the 650 would be the way to go. ive ridden mine on 400 mile street rides and then the next day go up to bishop and do 200 miles of dirt and it never missed a lick. theyre very reliable bikes. mine has been ridden in rain, snow, high winds, 30 degree temps and 117 degrees, and havent had any problems whatsoever.

end of lecture. ? time to ride!! :confused:

Did somebody say the DR makes more power? I thought the DR was torquier, but the DRZ made the same or more horsepower. Am I wrong?

By the way sounds like the DR is a better bike for you.

No, you are correct.

And I also agree that the DR650 is a better bike for the original poster.

My DRZ has been to Canada then Mexico and back to Cali. It performed quite well both freeway and especially on the dirt. I use this bike primarly for adventure rides mostly with my buddy who rides a KTM 950 Adventure. On the freeway he's better off but when we hit the dirt, I'm gone! 500-1,000 mile weekends are not uncommon and I'll be bringing my DRZ to DVDaze in 2 weeks then the Mojave Trail home. Most bikes these days are all excellent like a crap shoot just buy one and ride the heck out of it

• 5 weeks later...
Niether will be as good on the road as your current ride. The 400 will be straining on the freeways. While I'm sure a weekend trip to DV is possible, I don't think it would be very comfortable on the 400. The 650 would be a lot better. Don't expect the DR650 to pass cars on the freeway like your 600 though. The 650 will have only half, or even less, the peak horsepower.

I'm confused...How come the 600cc has so much more HP than the 650? I bought my 1st bike in nov (91 dr650) and dont reallly know crap about cycles or for that matter riding....:censored:

Some dirt road exploring is fine on it, but dont try to ride any trails or anything, the DR650 is just not a capable trail bike.

i can ride fairly serious trails on the 650. i just stay away from the real AA trails, but anything sort of real technical stuff is plenty doable on the 650, just a little slower. of course i'm a fairly experienced dirtrider already.

as rigwelder mentions, all the trails at kennedy meadows would be fine for a decent rider. the stuff i wouldn't ride the 650 on is stuff i couldn't take very many riding partners on anyway.

I'm confused...How come the 600cc has so much more HP than the 650?

a gsxr600 is a full on race bike with 4 cylinders. it revs extremely high to make that horsepower. a dr650 has 1 cylinder and doesn't rev that high. it makes great torque and accelerates briskly, it's just not designed for racetrack use.

I do not personally feel the DRZ is under powered on the street and have taken mine on several multi-thousand mile rides. The fact that you already have a fantastic street ride would be a strong argument for the DRZ as well. To me it makes little sense to overlap with a second more street oriented machine. Why not get the more dirt worthy machine that is civil enough for road work (DRZ).

Thanks for the HP explanation...A bunch of little explosions spread across a longer crank...as opposed to one big explosion on one beefy crank...My 2 cents on this VS matter...I can only speak to the 650...I have taken it on our local, canyon fire roads and have gone up some pretty raspy, rocky, washed-out road sections. Scared the S*^*! outa me going up but really shook me up trying to go back down...I think the bike preformed well...alot better than the rider...The previous post makes a VERY good point though....His street needs are already met...so get the best offroad bike.