rear only 18 rim to 17 rim conversion XR650L

I am 5' 7" and 160 LBS with a 30 inch inseam and proud to say that i have a '93 XR650L with only 5,000 mi. I have installed a White Bors. lowering link, dropped the front forks an inch, shaved the seat about two inches and have the rear spring unsprung to it's max. I still find the beast quite tall, i can barely tip toe with both feet. Before i get myself some high heels, i was wondering if i can lace up the rear hub to 17 inch rims only on the rear to further lower the bike? It currently has the stock 2.15 x 18 rims on a 4.50 x 18 Kenda tire. I have a gold anodized 2.50 x 17 rims and plan to fit it with 5.10 x 17 tire. My question is, will this significantly lower the bike? i'm thinking an inch or is this a waste of time and money. Is there a lower profile tire for the 18 rim? if so what size tire? Lastly, would there be any clearance issues with the 5.10 x 17 on the Honda XR650L? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am 5' 7" and 160 LBS with a 30 inch inseam and proud to say that i have a '93 XR650L with only 5,000 mi. I have installed a White Bors. lowering link, dropped the front forks an inch, shaved the seat about two inches and have the rear spring unsprung to it's max. I still find the beast quite tall, i can barely tip toe with both feet. Before i get myself some high heels, i was wondering if i can lace up the rear hub to 17 inch rims only on the rear to further lower the bike? It currently has the stock 2.15 x 18 rims on a 4.50 x 18 Kenda tire. I have a gold anodized 2.50 x 17 rims and plan to fit it with 5.10 x 17 tire. My question is, will this significantly lower the bike? i'm thinking an inch or is this a waste of time and money. Is there a lower profile tire for the 18 rim? if so what size tire? Lastly, would there be any clearance issues with the 5.10 x 17 on the Honda XR650L? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The 5.10x17 will not be much smaller. A big downside of 17 inch rims is the lack of selection when compared to an 18. I had a 81 XR500 with the 17 inch rim and I hated it. Try a smaller tire on your 18 inch rim. I think you will be able to get something smaller in an 18 that will lower you bike about 1/2 inch. That's about the same drop you could get with a smaller than 5.10 17 inch tire.

I think that suspension mods can be done to further lower the height by reducing the travel.

My question is, will this significantly lower the bike? i'm thinking an inch or is this a waste of time and money.

Keep in mind the 17/18" is a _diameter_, not a radius. So, a reduction of one inch nets you 1/2 inch in height. The other half inch is on the top of the rim, doing nothing toward reducing seat height.

Same concept for tires.