another newbie,another tire question 650L

When i bought my 650l the seller gave me the stock dunlop 850 tires off the bike,They are brand new.The rear tire that he put on is now cooked so i need a new rear.My question is..Is the dunlop 850 really that bad of a tire?I hate to not use a brand new tire but if its going to put me on my head in the dirt I will leave it off.I will be riding a combination of on and off road.In north michigan we have a fair amount of sand.Am I better off to just buy a k270 or dunlop 606 or is the 850 decent.Also is a 90 90 21 a correct size for front(will it work).This is my first post on this site,Im sure you guys get bombarded with stupid tire questions constantly,any advise would be appreciated

The 90/90-21 will work fine on the front. I currently am running the 606's & they have done well so far I have about 1500 mi. on them on my 650L. When the rear is done I plan to try the Kenda K760 Trakmaster II, it is supposed to be better off-road. I have had the Kenda 270 wich is a good all around tire but i spend most of my time in the dirt.

Welcome to TT where you can make friends and learn all kinds of cool stuff.I ride the xr650L and love mine.90/90-21 is fine has a slightly lower profile so is better at corner turn in than a 90/100. Go with either the dunlop 606 in 130/90-18 R or try out the teraflex tire lots of poeple love those, havent tried it myself yet. Heres a link www.MandHTires.com

All i can say is the stock tires are fine on anything except mud/wet conditions...I liked the Pirelli MT-21's for 3k but the rear didn't seem to like mud(would not clean out). The Kenda Trakmaster II K760(rear) has been really good offroad, a bit squirrely onroad with a definite 'howl', mileage tbd....

I currently am running the MT-21 front & K760 rear and like it.

MikeH

Once you put a good set of tires on there you'll never go back to stock unless you only ride on the street. I have a cool set of Avons for that. I'm happy with the Pirelli RallyCross front and rear. I've gone through a few sets of them with consistently good results. Great offroad, a little noisy on road and pretty decent wear/life. I might try the teraflex next. I like that big honkin' beefy knob look. It will also terrify my riding buddys cuz I'm always in front of them chucking big rocks at them. They hate it when I get a new tire.?

If you are over 50% dirt riding, I would go with Dunlop 606's. I run a 606 rear on my 650R. You sacrifice a little grip against a Dunlop 739, but the 606 will last much longer. I personally HATE the 606 front. I've been running a dunlop 952 on the front. Even though it's not a DOT tire, it still seems to do pretty good on the road.

If you go with a 606 rear, buy a 130/90/18, not the 120/90/18. The 120/90/18 looks really small and thin compared to a 110/100/18 D739. The 130/90/18 D606 looks big and aggressive. I have never tried a D850 tire, but looking at the tread, it doesn't appear to be a very good dirt tire.