HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
warrior86

07450f:initial break in period for valves?

17 posts in this topic

i have a 07450f with approximately 7 hours on it. Four of those hours were hard riding. I know from my 250f that valve inspection is especially important after break in because thats when things are likely to change. I was wondering how many hours are considered "broken in" as far as valve specs are concerned. I dont want to do it too early and think my valves spec is fine and then two hours later have them tighten up. Thanks

What's a break in period??? ;-)

I ran my '06 hard after one easy ride... and never had to adjust the valves. If it's starting easy and consistent, just ride it.

well i did the mototune way for break in which i have done for last my three machines with no problems however i coulda swore i remember hearing that the valves are most likely to need slight adjustment after everything is broken in. If not, i probably wont be checking them til this time next season.

If they move at all, the valves may indeed close up a little at first. so it doesn't hurt to check. Just don't be surprised or disappointed if they're all perfect.

yeah, trust me i wont be dissapointed if there in spec. I gotta say im in love with this bike. Its everything i loved about my 250f but better and without any drawbacks. It feels just as light, if not lighter than my 250. Im not new to blue thumpers so if they were all good i would just pat myself on the back for purchasing another yamaha!

My '06 was on the tight end of the spec at 3 hrs on 2 of the intakes, so I reshimmed, it now has 25hrs and they are still where I put them.

ok, i guess as soon as the winter sets in to the point where i can accept puttin the bike away without missing out on a nice day ill check the valves. THanks for the imput.:thumbsup:

450's usually tighten a little after 3-6hrs, once shimmed they'll last closer to 15 hrs depending on how hard you ride. 250f's tighten much sooner and need to be checked more often, from my experience.

450's usually tighten a little after 3-6hrs, once shimmed they'll last closer to 15 hrs depending on how hard you ride. 250f's tighten much sooner and need to be checked more often, from my experience.
My '03 has never yet needed to be re-shimmed even once in well over 150 hours

Myself and few friends 450f's all tightened before or around 10 hrs. It depends on how hard you ride, every bike is differnet also. Rode four-strokes since 01 and never heard of not ever having to adjust valves

Myself and few friends 450f's all tightened before or around 10 hrs. It depends on how hard you ride, every bike is differnet also. Rode four-strokes since 01 and never heard of not ever having to adjust valves

You have been riding Hondas, Right:p

I'm curious how difficult it is to check/adjust valves. On a scale of 1-10 how advanced is it and how easy is it to do more damage then good? Also, any special tools needed?

I now live in Mexico so it would be nice to know how to do it myself but I do go back to the States at least once a year so I can always bring it back if necessary.

You must be talking about a Honda. Yamaha knows how to build motors that last.

If you have a service manual, checking valves are relatively easy...especially after you do it once or twice. Just take your time and make sure you have a feeler gauge and a torque wrench and you should be good. Shimming the valves may take a little more skill but even that is pretty easy once you get used to it. I checked and shimmed my friends YFZ 450 quad in less than an hour.

If you have a service manual, checking valves are relatively easy...especially after you do it once or twice. Just take your time and make sure you have a feeler gauge and a torque wrench and you should be good. Shimming the valves may take a little more skill but even that is pretty easy once you get used to it. I checked and shimmed my friends YFZ 450 quad in less than an hour.

Stupid question but what's a feeler guage? I've got a torqure wrench and the service manual. Is there a how to post that you can link me to? It seems like there are always short cuts and easier ways then the manual lays out.