HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
oneshot

carrying stuff on my 650r

11 posts in this topic

i am planning a weekend of fun in big bend national park, and need some ideas on carrying stuff like water, extra gas, tools......i'm looking for a tail pack, or some kind of handlebar mounted bag to carry some stuff in, but i ain't havin any luck......any suggestions?

how about a camel pack back pack for stuff and water and you can get small gas tanks that mount to the rear fender or behind the side plates and if you have a number plate they have one the mounts there also

how about a camel pack back pack for stuff and water and you can get small gas tanks that mount to the rear fender or behind the side plates and if you have a number plate they have one the mounts there also

i'm kinda trying to stay away from the backpacks/fannypacks......got any links to where they sell the other stuff you mentioned?

When we go to Baja we use Dog Packs as saddle bags and Quadboss sadddle bags on the gas tank. You can see the Quadboss bags at http://www.quadboss.com/qbweb.nsf/Products/..%5CProducts/7A5FAB5D5091970586256E90006556D5?opendocument

and you can get dog packs at most any of the large outdoor outfitters, like REI.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=671265&parent_category_rn=40003684&vcat=REI_SEARCH

We put 4 days worth of clothes in the dog packs and what ever else we need in the tank bags. We carry one liter MSR fuel bottles in the out side pouch of the saddle bags. Less than $75.00 total, some people really like Dirtbagz but they are a little pricey for me.

well the only national parks i am familier with dont allow off road vehical us,is big bend different?

My husband and a bunch of his friends were just on a day long poker run and we found them some great handlebar type plates. We found these plate things on www.DirtBikePro.com. they had a couple of colors to choose from. then the guys took a run to harbor freight tool store and bought inexpensive canvas type tool bags. They mounted the plates and the bags and WOW. They worked great. The plate was easy to mount on the front bars, out of the way and light. the bags held small tools, fix-a-flat and water and rain coats (maybe more, that just what i saw or helped with) The guys said the plates were awesome, light, held up great and they never knew they were there during the ride. The guys all still use their set ups. Hope this helps.

I wouldn't carry any extra weight from the seat to the rear. The alu. subframe on the 650R has plenty of other reasons to bend to give it one more by placing any kind of extra load on it. It will be trashed in a heartbeat. I'll even go against the grain and say even a fender mounted pack is just asking that subframe to seek earlier than normal retirement.