Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CRF100biker

Tires...

12 posts in this topic

Hello guys. Recently my mom's BF has been letting me borrow his 98' YZ400F and man it rips. I'm wicked lucky to know such a nice guy like him. But my trouble begins with I ride in sand a lot. So I've been thinking paddle tires. What would be a good brand of paddle tire that fits this bike? Thanks.

Just deflate the rear tire to 8psi and you will be fine, it is a world of difference from 16 psi. I don’t even run paddles anymore; I think 8psi in a good knobby is just as good if not better.

Behind the Five Town Plaza in Springfield, MA. I totally forgot about deflating the tires first. Also on that day it was backfiring. A lot. As the day went on it cleared out but we refueled it and it started again. Stale gas maybe?

I just love this bike so much. Surprisingly easy to kick, you can ride it slow or fast (too fast), handles great nad the suspension soaks up the bumps like they weren't there. The only complaints I have to say about it is it's way too heavy and the lack of engine braking when going down a steep hill. Also seems to die pretty quickly if you even touch the rear brake. Oh well the good outweighs the bad.

Backfiring could be due to your fuel screw being out of adjustment. You can search the forum for the amount of turns out.

Just deflate the rear tire to 8psi and you will be fine, it is a world of difference from 16 psi. I don’t even run paddles anymore; I think 8psi in a good knobby is just as good if not better.

i have ran my 98 yz400f in the sand with a paddle and without. i dropped down to around 8psi with a soft-terrain/sand nobby and it didnt even come close in performance compaired to an 8 paddle tire. if you want the bike to feel like it has half the power, go with the nobby,:thumbsup: but if you want the ripping power that the bike has to offer, then get a paddle! no question.

Flywheel weights will add engine braking and will make it harder to stall. The previous owner installed a WR flywheel on my YZ400. It tames it down for recreational riding. Maybe you can talk the owner into it?

Nah I'm not gonna modify the motor. I might be racing it next year. Then again if I'm racing it I won't be able to use a paddle. :lol: Nah the backfiring was due to the stale gas. It's jetted perfectly. Anyone else have a problem with getting the sparkplug out on theirs with the stock wrench Yamaha included? The way the frame goes over the engine you can't get the wrench down into the hole far enough to get the spark plug out. Stupid move on Yamaha's part.

I use a paddle on my YZ450 and it hooks up amazingly.

The tire is cheap. Cheaper than a stock tire I think.

Like 50 bucks.

Mine is a Cheng Seng Sand Snake.. 10 paddle tire and I have smoked everything I have come against in the impromptu drags up the big dunes here.

Including a CRF450 with similar tire.

But it is way fast than a quad with thier paddles..

And yeah paddles are faster in the sand than normal tires.

I use a Kings Turbo 8 paddle tire, and its awesome. Grips like nothing else, and shoots roost as high as my head.

I use a paddle on my YZ450 and it hooks up amazingly.

The tire is cheap. Cheaper than a stock tire I think.

Like 50 bucks.

Mine is a Cheng Seng Sand Snake.. 10 paddle tire and I have smoked everything I have come against in the impromptu drags up the big dunes here.

Including a CRF450 with similar tire.

But it is way fast than a quad with thier paddles..

And yeah paddles are faster in the sand than normal tires.

Dirtbikes will always be faster in a straight like if both vehciles have the same displacement. They weigh less. The dirtbike will be ahead on a track too if the dirtbiker doesn't totally suck, but I ride in a dirt like sand. It's not sand like dunes. Maybe I should get a 6 paddle? Or is more always better?

As for more being better..

Not sure, but it makes sense that the more paddles the more traction.