Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Indiana

Woods Bike Advise Please

8 posts in this topic

I am currently riding an 03 YZ450 with the heavy gytr flywheel weight, gearing changed, front suspension redone and subtanks. I was getting ready to have the rear suspension re-valved, and possibly add a rekluse. I mostly ride HS and GP's. I truly love the hard hit the motor gives (I know some don't like it). But, yesterday I rode my friends 06 KTM 450xc and man I couldn't believe how plush that bike felt and how well it handled. I know I was faster on that bike after two laps. It made me wonder if I would ever get my bike track that well and feel that good. I really hate the "dumbed" down feel of a bike like a WR so I'd rather ride a mx'er with mods. Should I keep dumping money into mine or trade it off? Ya know a e-start would also be kinda handy too. I really want to support my local Yami guys but I think KTM has got the woods thing licked.

I'd rather ride a mx'er with mods..

I hear ya'. :thumbsup:

It sounds like you have your bike set up pretty well but there is no replacement for how things "feel" to you.

The Rekluse will make it a completely different bike and I would recommend it to anybody that rides woods.

That being said, were I to go after the 'ultimate' woods bike I would start with a YZ250 two-smoker, throw a Rekluse on it, an FMF gnarly pipe, and go from there.

For an off the showroom floor woods bike I would go with a KTM 250 or 300 XC-W (two stroke).

The Rekluse will make it a completely different bike and I would recommend it to anybody that rides woods.

I don't understand why a rekluse would make you faster. I use my clutch so much in the woods, hillclimbs, wheeling (spelling?) over logs, and especially whipping the rear tire around turns. How do you do this without a clutch?

Sorry for the off topic question.:thumbsup:

I don't understand why a rekluse would make you faster. I use my clutch so much in the woods, hillclimbs, wheeling (spelling?) over logs, and especially whipping the rear tire around turns. How do you do this without a clutch?

Sorry for the off topic question.:thumbsup:

Just twist the throttle! Hillclimbing with a rekluse is so much easier it is like cheating.

A rekluse is kinda preference. I cannot see myself riding with a Rekluse, the Clutch is my best friend, and I don't even realize its there anymore. For some people they work miracles, but for others, it can be kinda a waste. :thumbsup:

Yeah, I've thought a lot about an 06 or 07 but don't know if I will be that much ahead of where I am now considering what I do. I have been thinking about 2 smoke quit alot but am not sure about giving up the luggability (word?) of the 450 and I really love getting out in the open and just pulling away. I really just couldn't believe the suspension difference. Will I get that with my rear suspension upgrade?