Want the pit bike look..

Hey guys. Newbie here. Just started looking into the scene as we picked up a ttr90.

A friend of mine has an XR50R 2002 for his son. He's son is wanting the "look" of the pit bike (on a budget) and isn't concerned with the performance. Atleast not yet. So I told him I'd look into it. What are most guys doing to get these bikes higher? As far as I know all he wants is the stance.. So what are the options without breaking the bank?

Thanks for any input!

Hey guys. Newbie here. Just started looking into the scene as we picked up a ttr90.

A friend of mine has an XR50R 2002 for his son. He's son is wanting the "look" of the pit bike (on a budget) and isn't concerned with the performance. Atleast not yet. So I told him I'd look into it. What are most guys doing to get these bikes higher? As far as I know all he wants is the stance.. So what are the options without breaking the bank?

Thanks for any input!

extended swingarm, fork legs or new forks all together, maybe a shock. i found a swingarm on ebay for $120, best purchase of my life. haha just watch out for the knockoff parts made for different bikes

So the ONLY way to get them in the air is to spend.. 1K ?

I know this might sound like a tight a s s suggestion, but what about a shock extender, and longer lower fork legs with better springs? His son is little guy. I figured to long of a rear shock will require a swingarm, I just didn't know how much was to much. He claims the Honda shop would charge him 600 in parts to get the "look" he was after. I figured I could do it cheaper, I'm just not sure what they were going to do.

Thanks for the help thus far guys!!

i bought this swingarm http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/XR50-crf-50-xr-HONDA-extended-pit-bike-CRF50-SWINGARM-s_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34284QQihZ006QQitemZ160063259005QQrdZ1

it came as a 50 caliber swingarm and so far its been great

i bought a staggs shock which is decent and found my forks on ebay

u dont have to spend 1k... u will need a new chain tho and a chain breaker to cut it

drews50005.jpg

Do you have another picture of the bike from the side view?

I've checked out stagg's site and it seems like the parts are resonably priced, are they of good quality? How is the mono swingarm kit with shock? This seems like a great kit for the price.

Depending on what you say about the mono swingarm what about the extending kit they offer for $145? It uses the stock swingarm and shock but offers 3.5" of lift?

Or would I be better with an extended A-arm swingarm like the 50 caliber with a shock or extend stock shock?

For the front I'm still a bit lost. It seems my only options are the 1" extended fork tubes, do I need springs for this? The rider is a small boy. Is this high enough?

The front forks from staggs for $250 look like a decent deal. I may beable to find some cheaper on ebay but how does the quality differ? Do the staggs forks or any aftermarket forks offer more lift than the extended forks? And I assume I need to get new bars for the forks?

Thanks again guys!

Do you have another picture of the bike from the side view?

I've checked out stagg's site and it seems like the parts are resonably priced, are they of good quality? How is the mono swingarm kit with shock? This seems like a great kit for the price.

Depending on what you say about the mono swingarm what about the extending kit they offer for $145? It uses the stock swingarm and shock but offers 3.5" of lift?

Or would I be better with an extended A-arm swingarm like the 50 caliber with a shock or extend stock shock?

For the front I'm still a bit lost. It seems my only options are the 1" extended fork tubes, do I need springs for this? The rider is a small boy. Is this high enough?

The front forks from staggs for $250 look like a decent deal. I may beable to find some cheaper on ebay but how does the quality differ? Do the staggs forks or any aftermarket forks offer more lift than the extended forks? And I assume I need to get new bars for the forks?

Thanks again guys!

people dont like 50 caliber but there swingarm is great. anythin else i probably wouldnt buy from them tho. i think they make +2 fork legs not just 1

heres it when i bought it

my50.jpg

heres it now from the side (u can see the difference)

drews50003.jpg

id go with a simple extended swingarm, staggs mono kit(prolly best bet, comes with shock and adapter so its a pretty cheap package), and maybe some pitster pro forks, the conventional black ones, you can pick them up cheap all the time and will add alot of performance.

fork extenders are your best bet to raise the bike without spending $300+

As for the rear end i would get a 10.5" shock to start off with and see if the bike sits level after you have the fork extenders (dont want to be looking at the ground while riding if you get a really long swingarm/shock combo).

Most people said on here a 10.5" shock will raise the bike about 2", this is a big difference in look and feel over the stock setup. The forks could always be better, I blew out my stockers within a week now i ordered a set of Staggs Works1 forks.

For the whole setup I would imagine a respectable budget would be $300-$400 for both forks and shock.

• 2 weeks later...

We went with the fork extensions and a 10.5 shock. You can put only one of the longer/heavier springs in if you want it to move at all with a five year old. You'll be surprised of the difference 1" to 1.5" will make. From age 6 to 8 we've added Pro Taper pit bike bars and clamp, tall seat, big pegs, red kenda tires, Kitaco 75. The Pro Taper clamps are adjustable front to back. I ran these clamps with Honda mini mx bars cut down until he grew into the tall bars. I'm real happy, I mean my son is real happy with his bike.?

ok, get:

-down components lower +1 forks for 40 bucks

-a staggs shock for 140, sumthign like that

-a big bar kit, id buy used, u can get clamps on planetminis.com for cheap and i actually have some RCM bars(taller) that i got with some forks that ill give to u.

Thats pretty much all u need to jack it up and make it look like a pumped up pit bike. And try to buy used, planetminis.com is a great site, sign up and search teh classifieds section every day. PM if u want the bars