1987 XR 600 No Spark?

I have a 1987 XR600 that I took on trade from a guy. It started and ran pretty good at first, then it would die when it was running hard and then nothing. It was impossible to get started again. So I took the carbs apart several times and cleaned them and set the floats. Now I have no spark! any ideas? Thanks for the help

It's not too hard. I did it on my 93 XR600 a few years ago. Finding the right wire may be the most difficult part. Search for my posts on the subject for some more info. The page at justXRs is http://justxr.com/jaw/stator.html

If you don't want to deal with it yourself and don't want to spend $130+shipping, keep an eye on ebay. Stators show up there and go for a lot less.

I did the checks by the Honda manual, ended up buying a lot of things I didn't need. The stator was bad. It happened twice in the 10 years I had the thing. I had mine rewound both times, and it worked great, although the first one I replaced might have been a little fragile, cuz it quit after a couple of years. The price you pay sometimes, I suppose. I have the coil, black box, and pulser coil to prove it. Good luck with your hunting.

Well we will see what happens, maybe I can take them off your hands. What happened when you checked everything, did they show up on the meter being bad? If thats the case I will just buy the stator from Sniper and put it on. Thanks for the help

Stators do go bad on these old bikes. Many times they go bad because of the engine running to hot. They usually start running hot because people have opened up the airbox, filter, and exhaust and cause it to run to lean. But there is no way to know without monitering the temp.

Another big problem with these old bikes is the connectors themselves where the plug plugs into the CDI begin to get lose and lose contact.

So try to crimp these down a little and plug it back together and try that.

If it is the stator make sure if you've done any mods to the bike that it is jetted properly.

I Have Been Having The Same Problem And Seem To Have Narrowed It Down To The Stator Also. The Spark Is So Weak You Can Not See It. But If I Push Start It I Can Get That Pig Breathing Good. I Would Try And See If You Can Push Start It.

Well we will see what happens, maybe I can take them off your hands. What happened when you checked everything, did they show up on the meter being bad? If thats the case I will just buy the stator from Sniper and put it on. Thanks for the help

It's possible my meter wasn't quite right.....I did all the checks, right by the numbers, but none of the components seem to test right. We didn't have forums like this, in those days, so I was flying blind, really. Finally, I called one of the rewind outfits, and they told me it was a common problem on XR 600's in the earlier years, anyway. Even the spark plug cap was testing bad, but it wasn't the problem....

Well I have it apart and have a different stator coming from Sniper. Mine looks good, we will try that first then move on to the coil etc. I have towed this thing with my ATV and still no luck! I want to fix it right. I am looking to buy a complete gasket set off ebay for about $45.00 shipped, dealer wants about $25.00 for one side cover. I am also going to need top end gaskets before I am done. Any problems that you know of using aftermarket gaskets? Thanks for the help!

Well I have it apart and have a different stator coming from Sniper. Mine looks good, we will try that first then move on to the coil etc. I have towed this thing with my ATV and still no luck! I want to fix it right. I am looking to buy a complete gasket set off ebay for about $45.00 shipped, dealer wants about $25.00 for one side cover. I am also going to need top end gaskets before I am done. Any problems that you know of using aftermarket gaskets? Thanks for the help!

Well, at least you're smart enough to try to tow it.....We wore out three guys trying to kick it, all dressed in gear, and ready to ride. We got it going, but several miles into the ride, we stopped for a break, and that was that.

I was lucky enough to be close to an abandoned railroad grade, that a pickup could make it down, to haul the ol' girl out of there. Welcome to this forum, too. There's a load of people here with great ideas.