HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ryah

Free mods minus grey wire

6 posts in this topic

I've done all of the free mods, minus the grey wire mod. My question is, does this hurt anything? I typically ride in loose terrain conditions and it was my thinking that by keeping the grey wire intact that the back wheel would not spin so easy. Would this be the case? Or should I just disconnect the grey wire as it's not going to effect the rear wheel spin?

No, it won't hurt anything to leave the grey wire connected. Wheelspin is caused by power, and disconnecting the grey wire (which gives you YZF timing) will give you a little more power. However, trading your bike in for a XR100 will also give you less power, and a pocket full of cash. With the wire disconnected, the WR's power is still so linear that wheelspin is easily controled. I'd do it and never wonder what it would be like to have a little more.

It's very easy to disconnect and then reconnect if you don't like it. Just don't cut the wire - pull the plug out and tape it off.

i know this grey wire topic is one that i see in the wr forums daily but i had a question about an '04 wr450 from australia. does the wire trick still apply here in OZ?

i have mine setup on a switch which disconnects the wire at will. does the bike need to be off to make the change or can it be done on the fly?