HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Betopro

Thermostat on 650R

11 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

:thumbsup:

I don't know why but I remove the thermostat from My XR650R, I Do a lot of single track in STV and also do long rides and I have not seen or feel any diference but if any of you know or can tell me if this will hurt or will it benefit my bike please Advise

Thanks!

Betopro:ride:

I know some people will say this is wrong but I took mine out, put on a 1.8 cap and removed the recovery tank. I have NEVER had an overheating problem since. I do ride single track and have been in situations where I have to ride very slow on tight single track trails in 100 degree weather. I have been on super long sand hill climbs where the bike is highly stressed with little air flow and also no problem.

Why do guys pull off the overflow tank? It weighs next to nothing, and holds any overflowed coolant to be pull back into the coolant system as the bike cools off.

I'm not a big fan of the 1.8 cap, the stocker 1.1 is about 16 lbs if I remember correctly, while the 1.8 is about 26 lbs...That's a lot of extra load on the radiators & hoses...

it is a lot of extra pressure - I put that new cap on and in minutes my bike was leaking coolant all over the place. Had to re-tighten all the hoses and then I still took the cap off and put the stock cap back on, because I didn't really see what the gain was except for expensive engine ice all over the floor :-)

Mine is gone,made a flow through Y piece 1.something radiator cap no issues total loss of 100 grams.

Just warm it up well Betopro guy before you punish it.

it is a lot of extra pressure - I put that new cap on and in minutes my bike was leaking coolant all over the place. Had to re-tighten all the hoses and then I still took the cap off and put the stock cap back on, because I didn't really see what the gain was except for expensive engine ice all over the floor :-)

I didn't have any leaks but bike used to overheat with the stock 1.1 cap under harsh conditions. The 1.8 stopped the overheating problem.

Why do guys pull off the overflow tank? It weighs next to nothing, and holds any overflowed coolant to be pull back into the coolant system as the bike cools off.

I'm not a big fan of the 1.8 cap, the stocker 1.1 is about 16 lbs if I remember correctly, while the 1.8 is about 26 lbs...That's a lot of extra load on the radiators & hoses...

The desert removed my overflow tank for me, as well as the skid plate. Actually the skid plate got knocked off first and then the overflow tank got squashed. My CRF450 doesn't have one so why would the XR650 need one except to meet emissions laws? Like I said above, 1.8, no thermostat and my pig is happy.

I live in CO, where I do quite a bit of cold weather riding. I replaced the thermostat with the Napa #115 stat. It required a little modification to drill a hole, and grind off a few thousandths so it fit snugly in the housing.

I still run the stock cap. I've only had one boil-over ever, and that was before I uncorked it. Now, it has awesome power, and the coolant never exceeds rising more the 1-2 inches in the over-flow bottle.

The downside to running no thermostat is the risk of running the bike too cool. When it is too cool, the piston rings, and cylinder walls have not fully expanded from the heat, and they can wear a bit faster. Also, the oil may not reach premium viscosity, and that can add a bit of wear to all moving parts. Both should not be a big issue if you're riding is a warmer climate, and allow 5 minutes of ideling to warm your bike up.

The 1.8 Bar radiator cap will prevent collant from entering the over-flow bottle untill it reaches a much higher temp. This will definately help to prevent boiling. I also think that, in theory, this should help the bike warm up a bit faster. The higher pressure cap blocks off the coolant in the bottle, so only around 60% of the coolant is in circulation untill the bike fully warms up.