Rear Racks

I'm looking for a rear rack that will be ideal for carrying stuff for a long distance trip off-road. I am good at modifying and I have a brother that is one of the industry's best machinists...so the model of bike you have is not important. Things like capacity, durability, and cost are more imnportant. I'll also probab;ly modify to help keep the soft-luggage from getting into the rear wheel and off the exhausts.

Anything out there that you guys could recommend? Pics would be nice. ? Thanks.

Great websites...thanks guys. By the way 'Owyhee', I flew in and out of Boise today and saw that same name...Owyhee...there, but can't remeber now where in town. Maybe Nampa, anyway, I heard that it had something to do with some old guy making fun of the name Hawaii and starting this new name in Oregon or Idaho.

Is that true?

Great websites...thanks guys. By the way 'Owyhee', I flew in and out of Boise today and saw that same name...Owyhee...there, but can't remeber now where in town. Maybe Nampa, anyway, I heard that it had something to do with some old guy making fun of the name Hawaii and starting this new name in Oregon or Idaho.

Is that true?

Lots of companies in and around Boise use the name "Owyhee." You're right on the Hawai'i part!

There is an Owyhee River, an Owyhee County, and an Owyhee Mountain range.

The story goes that some Hawai'ian trappers went up into what is now the Owyhee Mountains and got killed by some Shoshone Indians. The locals began calling the local mountain range the "Hawai'is" and after 50 years of inbreeding, whiskey, and other social ills, the name was butchered to "Owyhee."

True? Your guess is as good as mine, but it sure makes a nice story.

And just for the record, the Owyhee Moutains offer some of the best riding in the nation. It's like Colorado but without trail traffic and the altitude.

"O"