Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bork

1994 XR600R clutch job questions

12 posts in this topic

I'm thinking of replacing the friction plates or what else? It's good now, but once I thought it faded into 5 th gear . I thought its time for r&r ? Any tips or recomendations . Are there other things I should change, since I'm in there? (I know my kick-starter shaft seal is starting to weep. a must seal change.)

Don't forget the clutch springs. I replaced my clutch only to have it fry again due to worn out springs. They just didn't apply enough force for proper clutch action.

I have found that sandpapering the metal discs helps the clutch action when replacing the clutch pack. I use #120 paper on an orbital sander.

I used the barnett dirtr digger kit and the new springs are about .200" shorter than the old stockers. Seems like it should work after i adjust the lever.

Does this sound right?

Bump. How about a survey. who has changed out with what brand or OEM. How many hours /years working trouble free?

Bump. How about a survey. who has changed out with what brand or OEM. How many hours /years working trouble free?

I dunno about the XRs but I've ran CR500s for years and nothing beats OEM plates for wear and engagement feel.

Honda clutches are some of the best out there but Barnett are as good so go with whatever is cheapest. I'd perssonally unless money is super tight replace the metal plates, fibre ones and springs. Also, replace the cable as this may actually be the problem anyway!!!!!!

I used the EBC full kit springs, friction, and steel plates. Works great. $65.00 for everything. Easy job, hardest part is removing old gasket from gear case.

I just put the Barnett Dirt Digger on

The springs are shorter than stock. Getting on the throttle in second I had some major slippage. Not sure if it needs to be broken in or not.

I just put the Barnett Dirt Digger on

The springs are shorter than stock. Getting on the throttle in second I had some major slippage. Not sure if it needs to be broken in or not.

If it's slipping when new, it will get fried in short order. Those must be the wrong springs. Either get the proper ones, or reuse you old ones.

Did you soak the friction plates before installing? Also I thought mine was slipping then realized that it was wheel spin due to new clutch and need of new rear tire.