HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Woody426

What size is the allen in the bottom of the fork?

6 posts in this topic

Dumping the first fork oil on my 2001. I want to pull the damper out to clean the break in crud out. What size is the allen to remove the bottom cap/valve, 15mm? Where can I get one?

Woody

It is 14 mm.

I bought both a hex socket and an allen wrench. I ordered the socket from snap-on online #FAM14E (I forget how much - $20?). I ordered the allen wrench from Napa online ,napa service tools #67264 (about $7). Or you can order one from your local Napa auto parts dealer.

Someone else on TT said they got their's at Autozone but my local Autozone stared at me like I had two heads when I asked if they had such a thing.

Regards,

Steve T

BTW - you will also need a cartridge holding tool. If you want to buy one, I suggest Scotts Perfomance. Their's was about $35 + shipping. Much less than Race Tech (around $65).

Steve T

Thanks guys, job done. Bought a socket at Sears $13.95. I found a one inch piece of steel pipe in my garage(free)and an old Tiawan spark plug socket in the junk drawer(free). Filed a + in the pipe and welded the socket at the end for my t-handle or rachet. Viola! cartridge holder. Cheap is as cheap does.

Woody

My cartridge holding tool is made out of a 2.5 foot piece of galvanized pipe with two tabs ground out at the end. I welded a nut onto a bolt w/a 14mm head for my "wrench" for the bottom of the forks. Yes, I am a cheap bastard.