HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Infidel

Which petcock for a larger tank.

14 posts in this topic

I've got a 3.4 gallon IMS tank to mount and after riding with a friend who used an aftermarket petcock on his bike, I'd like to know what other options are available.

The OEM petcock is one option but there must be other more cost effective solutions to this.

Anybody got ideas...........?

:thumbsup:

I've got a 3.4 gallon IMS tank to mount and after riding with a friend who used an aftermarket petcock on his bike, I'd like to know what other options are available.

The OEM petcock is one option but there must be other more cost effective solutions to this.

Anybody got ideas...........?

:thumbsup:

I re-used the stock petcock on my 600 for my IMS 4.3. Big mistake. The O-ring didn't seal at all and my garage was covered with gas. It POURED out. Maybe my gasket was bad, I dunno. I used a liberal dab of silicon and it seals like a champ now.

If I had it to do all over again I wouldn't be so cheap and I would have gotten a new petcock.

"O"

I put the IMS 4.7 on my 93 with the stock petcock no problems here, other than the IMS fuel cap gasket tearing after 2 fills.:thumbsup: Bad design. I replaced the cap with the one off my 86 250R threads matched perfect :devil:

It is nice to have the reserve and internal mesh filter running the stocker, since most aftermarket ones have no reserve tube or filter built in.

use the stock petcock, but make another gasket for it. Just trim an old tube around it, works great!! Just put a small hole in it for the petcock filters to stick through.

It's not the petcock thats leaking, its the tank. About 1 in 10 tanks that come from IMS have a sealing problem at the petcock hole. I sold several to customers that had this problem but IMS always exchanged them with no problems. I've had my IMS 4.7 for almost 5 years and it still works great to this day.

It's not the petcock thats leaking, its the tank. About 1 in 10 tanks that come from IMS have a sealing problem at the petcock hole. I sold several to customers that had this problem but IMS always exchanged them with no problems. I've had my IMS 4.7 for almost 5 years and it still works great to this day.

It may have been user error on my part. I got the tank used so I have no idea how old it is. The silicon (GRV?) sealant actually hold up well. It stayed sealed till below 20 degrees.

"O"

I can't argue with the concensus. I'm really surprised that nobody has mounted another petcock but I'll take this advice........

Thanks

I looked for an alternative (lower cost) petcock for my stock tank so I could make easier tank swaps (my stock petcock is in my IMS tank). After a bit of searching I just bought another OEM petcock.

I have the accerbis tank with there dual petcocks, much lower quality than OEM ones, at least to my feel. But they don't leak, so I don't want to mess with it.