Oil Question

I have a 01 YZF426 and I am currently using Motul 300V 100% synthetic oil but it is pretty expensive for an oil change for me ( $20cdn a litre plus tax). So i don't get to change my oil as often as i should. So i am just wondering if i should keep doing what i'm doing or switch to a cheaper oil and change it on a normal basis like i should. Someone told me that if you go to a cheaper oil its not good for a bike thats amune to the expensive stuff. not sure if it true...but any info on what i should do would be nice. I don't race my bike or anything, I just drive on the trail with it, but might go to a few races. People say that once you go synthetic, stay synthetic....what do ya think?

thanks alot!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go with cheaper more frequent changes for sure! If you are not racing don't worry about it. I would just delete this thread and search the oil bible threads on this site. Tons and tons of good info. I buy shell rotella at wal-mart and have been running it for years and no problems. Uh-oh let the oil wars begin

• 2 months later...

I've had good success with the Yamalube, and it improved the shifting of the bike overall. However, come this Spring, I'm going to go with the cheaper Rotella, after reading so many good things about it. I think Pep Boys has it for about $ 8.70 a gallon here, and they're a lot closer than my dealer.

Either will be fine......

Take your pick, I'm going with the Rotella, since it's considerably cheaper, and I plan on doing more riding this year than previously.

As a side note.... get yourself a Scott's Stainless oil filter (thumpertalk store has em' for about $ 65) they filter better than paper (stock) filters, and can be used practically forever. I just use Carb cleaner spray to clean them and you're back in business. At $ 10-13 or so apiece for a paper filter, you'll go thru $ 65 or so relatively fast.