Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wheeldave2

YZ 450 or WR450 from KTM450EXC

14 posts in this topic

I race woods, GNCC, OMA, and local harescambles. I'm 46 and after 3 yrs I fianally one a "c" class race. The great financing on yamaha has me interested and now I might actually have a chance at contingency. The KTM has almost an electric motor feel at power, smooth and almost no hit in the power band, electric start, but it is one heavy bike, without mud. If I go with the WR am I just upgrading my KTM a couple of years, or is it really a faster lighter bike. Or how about the YZ can the motor be calmed just alittle with a fly wheel weight or maybe the cam from the WR. I thank you for any input.

I don't think there are any hard and fast rules with the bike you ride for woods. Personally, I like everything about the YZ for my style of riding better than the WR or EXC except the suspension it will need work for trail riding. I just added a flywheel weight and dropped a tooth on the front to get a little lower especially in first. I really like the hit and can use it to my advantage to keep my front end light and jumping on the gas in the open areas.

I've had a few KTM's in my time, you ask what or if you will be upgrading?

No matter what bike you choose WR or YZ I know you will like the suspension and ergo's much better than the KTM I know I do...........:worthy:

If it were me I would go YZ because I don't do alot of street or night riding that requires lights etc..

if you ride an aluminun YZ450 (any year) you will want one. They are so smooth and so light. After a ride on my buddie's I ended up with an 2004 YZ450 which is almost as nice. When I have the $ I know what to get.

I was easy to start, light, friendly and fast.:thumbsup:

if you ride an aluminun YZ450 (any year) you will want one. They are so smooth and so light. After a ride on my buddie's I ended up with an 2004 YZ450 which is almost as nice. When I have the $ I know what to get.

I was easy to start, light, friendly and fast.:thumbsup:

the aluminum and steel frame 450 weight is the same.

the aluminum and steel frame 450 weight is the same.
Have you, or have you not ridden an '06/7 YZ450? I ask because that's the kind of thing that people who haven't will frequently say.

That question was directed to Blank Stare, owing to his comment about the weight. What's important about a motorcycle is what it does when you ride it, not when you roll it over a scale. The two bikes do weigh within a pound of each other, but the resemblance ends abruptly at about 4 mph. The '06 quite literally feels 25-30 pounds lighter underway, and is more nimble and responsive than a lot of 2-strokes. The only possible way for you to understand how phenomenal the thing is is to ride one. It's that good.

The '06 quite literally feels 25-30 pounds lighter underway, and is more nimble and responsive than a lot of 2-strokes. The only possible way for you to understand how phenomenal the thing is is to ride one. It's that good.

Ya know Gray...every time you say something like that you make me feel bad about my 426, and I love my 426. Jeez...:thumbsup: No kidding, I just read that and went and posted two of my five bikes on craigslist...maybe it's time to let my son ride the 426.

I know the feeling. I bought the '06 for my son, and the more I either ride it or hear him talk about it, the less I like my '03 (which is, of course, still every bit as good as it ever was). I'm trading up as soon as I can.

I dont know much about KTM but they do seem to have trick parts all over(no need for upgrades). At the Talihina GP in Oklahoma they dominated and the e start didnt hurt at all in the LeMans type start. If your KTM is a late model I would see it as a lateral move. Now if it was an Mxer you were looking for, the Yz wins hands down. They seem (KTM) to do alright at Red Bull's "Last Man Standing" too.

....e start didnt hurt at all in the LeMans type start.
Reminds me of the Elsinore GP in '04. One of the classes was a relay race, and it was announced at the line that it was a dead engine start. One of the guys was on a YZ450, and began to complain bitterly that he was "never" going be able to get his bike started soon enough to be competitive. But when the flag dropped his bike was running at half-stroke on the starter, and he was so shocked by this that his eyes were like balloons in his head. He knew just what to do about it, though, and he had it in gear and gone by two lengths before the next engine started. Had to laugh.

Reminds me of the Elsinore GP in '04. One of the classes was a relay race, and it was announced at the line that it was a dead engine start. One of the guys was on a YZ450, and began to complain bitterly that he was "never" going be able to get his bike started soon enough to be competitive. But when the flag dropped his bike was running at half-stroke on the starter, and he was so shocked by this that his eyes were like balloons in his head. He knew just what to do about it, though, and he had it in gear and gone by two lengths before the next engine started. Had to laugh.

Mine started at the Talihina GP just fine too (however no holeshot was gained nor did it start quicker than the e starters). It was difficult to tell if it was running with all the other noise and confusion going on and I didnt dare blip the throttle til I was sure. So a little time was wasted. The hard part is just leaning the bike over far enough to throw my leg over. I am not very flexible any more, too many battles with the ground in the past (hopefully less in the future).:thumbsup: