Paddle Tire Question

I finally found a 17" paddle for my 87 XR600R. Got if off ebay....It's a Skat -Trak tire with Hooker paddles. When I got the tire, which is brand new, I realized it was made from a street bike tire that is tubelss. It has the speed rating on it that say 150MPH!!:worthy:

Anyway...the question is, will running a tube in a tubeless tire be a probelm??

-Dan

I have run a tube in a tubless tire before,but it was on a street bike with alloy wheels.

Should I run a higher pressure to eliminate some friction and heat?

-Dan

Yes, I would run higher air pressure. I usually run my Skat-Trak paddle at around 16-18 psi (as opposed to the 12-13 normally). I also use a lot of baby powder and the smoothest tube (Michelin or Bridgestone, no cheap FLY tubes here) that I can find to help keep tire temperature down.

Runnig a tube in a tubless tire is not a problem. The tubeless carcass that Skat-Trak used will be stiffer, and with the paddles stiffer yet, so it will probabaly be a real b#$%h to mount.

I'm sure that in this day and age, the only carcasses that Skat-Trak can get to vulcanize the paddles on are street bike tires. OEM dual sport rubber that may be found in a 17" is too narrow of a tire to use for the paddles.

Thanks for the heads up.

-Dan

It was tough to stretch over the rim, but the wider carcass made it a bunch easier to get the valve stem and rim lock on. I hate changing rear tires.

-Dan

It was tough to stretch over the rim, but the wider carcass made it a bunch easier to get the valve stem and rim lock on. I hate changing rear tires.

-Dan

The only nice thing about putting on a paddle tire. It's easy to get the tube in.

If I did dunes a lot (instead of once or twice a year), I would definitely get a spare rear wheel just to keep the paddle tire on.

The only nice thing about putting on a paddle tire. It's easy to get the tube in.

If I did dunes a lot (instead of once or twice a year), I would definitely get a spare rear wheel just to keep the paddle tire on.

I'm considering getting a spare wheel for this reason. Anyone have suggestions on where to or not to get one?