HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wayneoXCF

Zip-Ty magnetic plug workin hard!

14 posts in this topic

This thing might be the best $15 I spent on my bike. It catches all of those shavings, and is always workin hard for me. I have about 800 miles, and Im still getting little pieces on the magnet. I dont even want to think about where they might be if not for that plug. Gotta love it. :)

Wayneo I also have a Zip-Ty magnetic drain plug and without a doubt it is the best 15$ I could have ever invested on my bike.

:)Great Post

Ike of Colo

WRockomotive

WR426 2001 A few free mods.

TTR125L

PW50

AZ-

Go to Zip-Ty Racing for the plug. As far as your seat /tank, if you want used, I would suggest going over to the YZ forum, and asking around in there. I think you can use a 98 and up tank that will bolt right on. All the hardware worked on mine.

If your looking for a new tank/seat, alot of guys go for the Clarke tank, and an SDG complete seat. The seat is around $70, while the tank is ( I think), close to $175. I actually saw an IMS 3.3 gal tank on eBay a few weeks ago. Good luck!

Wayneo, How'zit brother! Finally recovering from a horrible hard drive failure over the weekend and just now getting back online...ROYAL PAIN IN THE A$$!!!

I think the metal shavings will continue forever, I believe most of it after a while is metalic clutch plate material. My Husaberg was 5 years old and still had a nice coating of shavings each change.

Have a good new year.

Late.

Make sure you use the stock thickness sealing washer on your ty plug.

The first ones he did had a too thick washer that encouraged stripping of the cases.

When I bought my bike new, I tried one of those magnetic plugs made by Moose and for some reason it wouldnt thread into the case. Anyone else ever had this problem?

It was for a YZ250 but they told me it would work on my bike. I checked Dennis Kirk and they said the same thing.

Hmmm, might have to try this plug.

[ January 10, 2002: Message edited by: MOmilkman ]

Hey Milkman..fellow Missourian here..I have the Moose magnetic drain plug..bolted right in like factory..this thing has a nice big 14mm head on it that a socket can actually grab..that stocker head rounded off real quick!

I was at the Yamaha dealer the other day and the parts guy said Yamaha made a magnetic drain plug. Do they? And do they work as good as Zip-Ty Racings?

If anybody wanys one, or both of my moose "mag" plugs, you can have them. Neither one that I have will stick to my fridge, no less hold any chunks on it. The zip-ty plug will hold a complete cam, so I know it will hold any small chunks floating in the case. Fortunatly I haven't seen anything very big, but when Ty chipped a gear he still finished... Best 15$ for sure!! :)

I had a Zip Ty plug and loved it...had to recently replace it though, the threads are pretty soft and easy to over torque. I cranked the plug in one day and instead of getting tighter it kept gettting easier to turn...I had destroyed the threads, it still worked, but soon began to leak so I put the stocker back in and ordered another...lesson learned: use a torque wrench on these soft aluminum bolts!