HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rexbond007

o ring chain question

9 posts in this topic

What are you guys getting in life span for the average o-ring chain?

Hrs?

say compared to x ring or other types?

I get about 2 years or so riding about every weekend. I don't have an hour meter, but we ride a lot of woods and MX. And I use the Primary Drive stuff, steel sprockets and the standard O-Ring chain.

On a 450 I get a regina o-ring chain and a set of renthal sprockets to last longer than I have the bike (I only keep bikes for about 60 hours max) so I don't really know. I would say about 2 seasons judging by the wear I see, but you have to keep the chain adjusted correctly. If you run it too loose it will wreck the sprockets and that will wreck the chain.

The Regina ORN6 on my '03 is over two years old, still within spec, and has only been adjusted 3 times since it was installed, not counting once when a new sprocket was installed. It's a standard O-ring. The most significant wear on it is the flats worn on the outside edges from dragging through the rubber chain guide (the sand done it). Unless the internal lube dries up and it starts to kink, I think it will go until late spring or so, which would be 3 years.

i have a RK o ring chain that i did use on my RMZ 250 for about 60 hrs bush riding.

The chain no visable wear, that i can see. i thought I'll throw it on for a while. but the chain is a little stiff. i put it in some used engine oil to soak to see if it will loosen up. When i got it new it was a little stiff. Is normal to be on the stiff side? Thx Rex

i have a RK o ring chain that i did use on my RMZ 250 for about 60 hrs bush riding.

The chain no visable wear, that i can see. i thought I'll throw it on for a while. but the chain is a little stiff. i put it in some used engine oil to soak to see if it will loosen up. When i got it new it was a little stiff. Is normal to be on the stiff side? Thx Rex

You're going to put a 60 hr used chain on your new 07? After spending $7000, I think it might behoove you to drop another $75 and get a new chain. Better yet, buy a combo pack from Ironman with new front and rear Ironman sprockets and a new o-ring chain for about $175 - you can't beat that price anywhere. And then you won't have to worry about it for years, other than a couple minor adjustments. Just seems a bit strange to me to not want to have your nice new bike have good new parts on it. And with the quality of the stock chain (junk) and the quality of the stock sprockets (OK) you will likely eat up your sprockets by putting a stiff, kinked, used chain on there. You might as well leave the stocker on and adjust it all the time like you will have to do. And stiff is not normal, stiff is telling you that the internal lube is going or gone. Used engine oil won't fix the problem, it'll probably just attract dirt. Bite the bullet, buy the good stuff. You won't regret it.

Since a chain wears, for the most part, internally, you usually can never see it. Measure it according to the procedure shown in the manual on 3-31. Be sure to measure several overlapping sections. All the way around is best.

As far as "stiff" goes, the friction of the O-rings sandwiched between the plates can cause some difficulties in determining whether the links are stiffening because of a loss of lube, or other damage, or simply because of seal friction. But the stiffness of seal friction should be reasonably uniform on a well maintained chain in good shape, whereas true link stiffening is more apt to occur at random points in the chain as it first develops.

Also, if you accept that the seals will keep lube in, that you should have no trouble with the idea that they seal lube out, as well, and soaking them to lube them is pretty much a total waste of time unless you find a way to lift each seal (there's 220 of them) away from its seat while it soaks.

you guys provided me with some good information that i never considered, thanks i'll buy a new chain!!