HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
baja4lif3

WR426 for baja?

11 posts in this topic

You don't have to worry about a pipe or cam mod (unless you want to) but do get good tires (I recommend the Maxxis Desert IT, HD tubes, and slime ). That and some cash and you are dialed!

baja4lif3 - I ride about 2500 miles a year down there on a 426. And they do just fine, you don't need to get a pipe. But if you see fit to get one I have been really happy with my FMF TI4, or something like that.

Run 14/46 for all around conditions. It is just fine in the single track stuff (a little tall) and it will still let you do 90 or so in the faster stuff. Get your tool pack in order and definitely some HD tubes.

I also recommend running a Pirelli MT 18HD. I have never gotten a flat with that tire even when I have raced down there.....Knock on wood.:worthy:

Get the Unibiker radiator braces too. When you crash you don't want to break a radiator..... Jose and Pablo don't usually have spare radiators.

I ride in Baja three to four times a year on a WR 450 and a couple of guys that I go with have 426's. You don't need to do any motor mods or a pipe. Spend your money on things that will improve the durability of your bike. Spend it on things like skid plates, shark fins rad guards etc. Definately go with a bigger gas tank, Brigbestone Ultra Heavy Duty tubes, hand guards, and regear for higher sustained speeds. Also, don't forget to buy spare levers, nuts & bolts, shifter.

Seabass has it right, I would include a large camelback, GPS , have the valve lash checked and make sure the bike feels right, you'll be on it for a long long time. I average about 1500 miles a year in the desert on an 01 WR426. I use a YZ exhaust and a 14\48 gearing, average about 110 miles on stock WR tank. Only broke down one time in the four years riding it, sucked in a valve.

Drink alot of water the night before, enjoy!

Never used Slime before (no cactus here)...

But, I am curious how much for the front and rear. I too am leaving from Denver in a week to Baja and would love to know how much to put in these new heavy duty tubes...

Thanks!

I almost forgot one of the best improvements for Baja. If you have enough time get a GUTS tall'soft seat foam kit. No monkey butt since I swapped out the stock seat foam.