Handguards or Levers??

The one thing I can say for certain is to do one or the other. I use ASV C5 levers on my bikes. I bought them from ASV's eBay store, where they sell factory refurbs with the same warranty as a new part. They have stopped the problem of broken levers.

I feel constrained by hand guards, too, but I've never really ridden much with them. They have the potential to cause injuries by trapping the hands when you go over the bars, or by preventing you from "re-acquiring" the handlebars if your hands get knocked free, that I can see (or if you let go of them on purpose. This happened to Travis Pastrana).

But they will prevent the levers, the clutch in particular, from being closed on your fingers nut-cracker style in a crash, too, so it's sort of your choice.

I think the type of riding you do will dictate what you should use to a point, i.e., if you single track through brushy areas or thick woods then get handguards for sure. Also, if you ride in cold and/or wet/muddy conditions then handguards act a great windbreak and mud deflector for your hands. Mine are always on.

I have never had my hands get caught up in the guards in a crash nor have I ever had trouble getting an errant hand back on the bars because of them. That's not to say that it can't happen though...I guess anything is possible but I have never seen or heard of that happening.

If I were doing inverted superman seat grabs then I would not use handguards.

ASV's are great levers...I use them also, even with my handguards. And as Professor Gray says, use one or the other!

I would recommend hand guards if your ride off-road. I know when I don't have them the brush really beats up my hands. I always ride with them, bark buster style and never know they are there. For track, I don't recomend them as highly as I have been taken down when my bars locked with someone elses. Asv's work very well.

Ditto to what the experts are sating here. the only thing i will add is if you ride tight trails like i do get some bark busters. those little sapplings hurt a lot at speed, even if your asv levers don't break. i use bare moose bb - without plastic covers

I ride more woods than MX anymore, but I can't make myself buy bark busters. I've always used the cheap UFO roost guards (not the wrap arounds). For some reason I can't get myself to bite the bullet and put bark busters on.

I guess if I had to get one or the other I would buy the folding levers. :worthy:

Gray, thanks for the hint on ASV ebay store. Smoking prices...

I ride single track for the most part but use Alpinestars mesh glove made for sportbike riders instead of handguards. The carbon fiber knuckle protectors really seem to save my hands and they last longer than traditional gloves.

What i like about the handguards is if your not goin over the bars, just tippin or goin off the side, you can hold on even when you dig the bars under, and you wont stall, you can keep it running easier, thats my personal thought.
That's what I meant. :worthy:
But they will prevent the levers, the clutch in particular, from being closed on your fingers nut-cracker style in a crash, too, so it's sort of your choice.

I have both on my bike, need the Acerbis roost guards because of track position ,usually behind someone's roost:foul: This is the first time I have used ASV's but a very nice product ( I'm going to do my best to not try their unbreakable feature:ride: )

Cappy79

I use the Moose BB and ASV clutch lever. I use the plastic shields in the winter as well. It's nice to be able to push through the tight stuff without having your clutch or front brake pushed in by saplings. I only run the ASV clutch lever, because it's so hard to ride out of the woods with no clutch. I have had it for 5 years, and countless spills, without a failure. Just got the BB but love them so far.