How heavy does a 426 feel vs. a early 90's 2t?

I just sold my 1992 RM 250 & want a bike for the trails. I am 36 & just started riding again after a few years off. I am 6'1" & 255 lbs. I loved the light weight of my RM but the power hit was brutal on the trails & it was cramped. I only ride the woods in New England with some fire roads thrown in, no MX in mind.

After riding my friends 1996 YZ 250 I am sold on the Yamaha ergo's. I am on the fence whether I should buy a 2001 YZ 250 or 2001 YZ 426. I know my RM wasn't the lightest bike out there but it was fun to throw around. Will the 426 feel the same as the RM considering it is 10 years newer or should I just get the 2 stroke even though everyone & their brother raves about the 426? Both bikes are priced the same & look to be in excellent condition.

If you describe the power of a RM250 as "brutal", you may not like the 426. I'm a big guy too (6'4"/230lbs) and I find it easy to throw the big thumper around in the woods. I added a Rekluse to mine to make it more trail friendly, but they do have a lot of power.

You should probably ride both bikes and then choose.

One of my riding partners has a RMX 250 about the same era as yours. i have KDX 200 & a '02 426f. i was concerned about weight when i first got the 426, but i love it. i notice no difference but the 426 is actually easier to pick up & move around because of better handholds. i'm 6'2 200lbs & you can't beat the superior power & torque of the big 4 stroke.

I guess I am still on the fence with the whole 2 stroke vs 4 stroke thing. Plus the added weight of the 4 stroke sounds like it is more work to ride around on all day. I am looking to ride all day & have fun, I don't need to get the crap beat out of me.

I guess I am still on the fence with the whole 2 stroke vs 4 stroke thing. Plus the added weight of the 4 stroke sounds like it is more work to ride around on all day. I am looking to ride all day & have fun, I don't need to get the crap beat out of me.

As mentioned by 642MX. Ride both and see for yourself. I came off an RMX250 to my 00 426 about 3 years ago. Weight is just about the same. (My 426 actually feels & seems lighter) Power - No comparision. 426 has much more and much more usable power than my RMX had. At the time, the RMX was the king of lowend and mine was bored to a 265. I will say that the RMX turned better and had much much better brakes.

I would opt for the yz250.

I got one and love it.

It is a 2000 with an 11oz FWW, 13/51 sprockets, FMF Fatty and turbine core AND jetted right for the hills for the things that count.

It will wheelie at idle in 1rst with out pulling on the bars so that is great for getting over logs and rocks. Is electric motor smooth. Light and flickable. I can only imagine how nice an 05 and up 250 is...

And when you do get on the pipe, it will fly. However, it is rare that I actually get going fast eough on single track to actually get on the pipe. This is all at 8000' +. And, our trials are usualy very technicle. What's that dark stuff on the ground....dirt????

I also have a yz450, and, that is the only bike I will ride at the track. I've tried it in the woods and I like the 2t better.

The 1999 and up yz250s are very similar in the motor dept and have very similar power delivery with a lot of lowend. The hit is way smoother than your RM was and still have better over-rev.

I've tried both and would go with the 2t.

Put a flywheel weight on the 426, ride it one gear up and your perfect on the trails. With the flywheel weight on the 4 stroke you can ride it like a trail bike at low RPM's if you want to slow down here and there of ride with someone (kids) not going fast.

Well, the deal is done :worthy: I just got back from the three hour round trip & the bike is home in my garage. I ended up with the 2001 YZ 426. I have to be perfectly honest, it was the condition of the bike that really sold me. I was also surprised it fit me a little better then my friends 96 YZ 250. Overall I am really pleased with the purchase & excited to get it on the trail, hopefully this friday if the weather holds out.

You'll love the bike. Once you figure out the nuances of starting your bike it will be a breeze and fire up first or second kick for you. I would suggest installing an auto-decompression exhaust cam...IMO it is the single best mod you can do to that bike without spending a bunch of $$$.

I think you'll love it once you get the starting down and learn not to shift , just use the torque. I love to rip on my CR for some quick thrills but for an allday ride it's the 426 everytime. Good luck and remember , no throttle when starting.

Also very true about not having to shift too often. Usually I just cruis in 3rd gear on my trail rides, and will occasionally go into 5th across lake beds, or putting around just to get it a bit quieter.

Also very true about not having to shift too often. Usually I just cruis in 3rd gear on my trail rides, and will occasionally go into 5th across lake beds, or putting around just to get it a bit quieter.

I was surprised it does seem kind of loud. I am so dissapointed, I picked it up last night & now I am away on business until the end of the week. When I get home I plan on taking her out for a nice trail ride, can't wait.

I have been reading up on the starting technique & actually started it twice last night without using the decompression lever but it was obviously harder than it needed to be. Still didn't kick over too hard & started on the first or second kick in 30 degree weather.

Now, I need to find the perfect graphics package to spruce up it's boring look. This is my first Yamaha bike, I have always loved the blue & wanted one but now that I have it, I find myself wanting the Hurricane kit!

I bought the bike off a nice fellow on here by the name of Kelvin & he took great care of it. It's amazing all the great people you meet in this life who are willing to help, thanks to everyone for all the help on this decission. I think I am in the right place now.

The new 07 One Industries Alpha kit is out, and looks very nice IMO. I have the 06 Alpha kit. I am also getting a spark arrested Dr. D exhuast for Christmas, and Ill post up how I like it sometime after the end of the year (leaving on the 26th for a 5 day camp/ride at Dumont Dunes)

I bought the dr. d last month for my 426 and was very pleased with it.

I ride mostly woods so the 426 kinda wants to stall every now and then but the dr. d put that to a stop. It gave the bike alot more bottom end power (great for climbing hills) and made the bike even more wheelie happy.