HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TrailRiderXRL

650L Spark Arrestor?

5 posts in this topic

Has anyone tried swapping the spark arrestor out for a different one? Was just riding with a guy that swapped the XRL's for a mid 80's TRX. It was a perfect fit. Looked completely stock. The only difference being the TRX had a much larger exhaust opening. I haven't measured the diameter of mine but I'm guessing it to be about an inch. The TRX one looked to be about 1/4 to 3/8 inch larger in diameter than mine. If my guestimates are close, the TRX spark arrestor has between 50-70% more area than stock. The sound difference was noticeable but not any louder. It seemed to have more "growl" to it!

I am trying to find a bone yard for ATV's where I should be able to get one for cheap or even free. I'll post any findings when I get one. This maybe a good cheap addition to the "uncorking" procedure of our beloved XRL's!!:worthy:

I think you're talking about the baffle. The guy I bought my XRL from claimed that removing it doesn't defeat the spark arrestor. It was LOUD without it, I also got the stock baffle and a thumper racing baffle with a bigger ID and a turned down outlet.

It would barely run with the stock baffle, the TR baffle was a little better. I used a barnum supertrapp for a while, then ended up getting a complete big gun system after riding a buddy's XRL that had one.

This was a few years ago, from what I've read big guns quality has taken a turn for the worse. Changing the baffle is the cheaper way to go and still be reasonably quiet, so good luck with your quest. :worthy:

I replaced the baffle on my 600. I got mine from Baja Designs. It made a huge difference. Much better flowing than stock. It is also very quiet compared to most aftermarket pipes.

Yes, I mean the baffle. I think the baffle is the spark arrestor! I just found a thread over at 4 Strokes about the same topic. Sounds like it's worth looking into!

Yes, I mean the baffle. I think the baffle is the spark arrestor! I just found a thread over at 4 Strokes about the same topic. Sounds like it's worth looking into!

The stock baffle is pretty much straight through, just a perf. pipe with fiberglass around it, so I figure it is not the spark arrestor.

Dave