650L Spark Arrestor?

Has anyone tried swapping the spark arrestor out for a different one? Was just riding with a guy that swapped the XRL's for a mid 80's TRX. It was a perfect fit. Looked completely stock. The only difference being the TRX had a much larger exhaust opening. I haven't measured the diameter of mine but I'm guessing it to be about an inch. The TRX one looked to be about 1/4 to 3/8 inch larger in diameter than mine. If my guestimates are close, the TRX spark arrestor has between 50-70% more area than stock. The sound difference was noticeable but not any louder. It seemed to have more "growl" to it!

I am trying to find a bone yard for ATV's where I should be able to get one for cheap or even free. I'll post any findings when I get one. This maybe a good cheap addition to the "uncorking" procedure of our beloved XRL's!!:worthy:

I think you're talking about the baffle. The guy I bought my XRL from claimed that removing it doesn't defeat the spark arrestor. It was LOUD without it, I also got the stock baffle and a thumper racing baffle with a bigger ID and a turned down outlet.

It would barely run with the stock baffle, the TR baffle was a little better. I used a barnum supertrapp for a while, then ended up getting a complete big gun system after riding a buddy's XRL that had one.

This was a few years ago, from what I've read big guns quality has taken a turn for the worse. Changing the baffle is the cheaper way to go and still be reasonably quiet, so good luck with your quest. :worthy:

I replaced the baffle on my 600. I got mine from Baja Designs. It made a huge difference. Much better flowing than stock. It is also very quiet compared to most aftermarket pipes.

Yes, I mean the baffle. I think the baffle is the spark arrestor! I just found a thread over at 4 Strokes about the same topic. Sounds like it's worth looking into!

Yes, I mean the baffle. I think the baffle is the spark arrestor! I just found a thread over at 4 Strokes about the same topic. Sounds like it's worth looking into!

The stock baffle is pretty much straight through, just a perf. pipe with fiberglass around it, so I figure it is not the spark arrestor.

Dave