Bar diameter and GPS Mounts

I want to put a set of RSW top triple clamps on my XR650L and a set of nice bars. I like Pro Tapers and would like to put those on but would also like to install a GPS and mount at some point. It looks like most GPS mounts are set up for 7/8 bars. Are any of you running a GPS mount on Pro-Tapers? Is there enough 7/8 bar on the ends of a Pro Taper bar to get a GPS mount on there, especially on the L where the bars are kind of busy with switches and perches?

Thanks!

Kelly

I have a garmin 176c that uses a RAM mount. RAM makes the mounts that have the rubber coated balls. I got the "U" shaped clamp that fits bars from 3/4" to 1 1/4" and use it on the "fat" part of the bar by the bar clamp. I'll try to post some pictures. RAM makes all kinds of stuff, so you can go on there website and find your gps model and see what they make for it. Hope that helps, Tommy

^ Yup I have the Ram Mount for my Garmin V and the same ball worked on the 7/8 bars and the 11/8 Pro-Tapers.

^ Yup I have the Ram Mount for my Garmin V and the same ball worked on the 7/8 bars and the 11/8 Pro-Tapers.

I use the garmin mount for my eTrex and it works flawlessly!

It was like $11 at REI

garminhandlebarmount.jpg

Perfect, looks like I can go with whichever size bars I want, thanks for the info and pictures!

Kelly

I use the garmin mount for my eTrex and it works flawlessly!

It was like $11 at REI

Hows yer e-trex holding up? Seems the vibration is killing mine in a similar mounting place.

Hows yer e-trex holding up? Seems the vibration is killing mine in a similar mounting place.

The eTrex is still working great and taking a hell of a beating!

:thumbsup:

I had some issues with it shutting off randomly and it turned out to be that the batteries we coming loose. I just stuffed some tissue in between the batteries and the battery cover and not a single problem since!

Whats yours doing??

:devil:

Garmin website.:thumbsup:

The eTrex is still working great and taking a hell of a beating!

:thumbsup:

I had some issues with it shutting off randomly and it turned out to be that the batteries we coming loose. I just stuffed some tissue in between the batteries and the battery cover and not a single problem since!

Whats yours doing??

:devil:

The exact same thing, and I did the exact same thing, then sometimes the screen gets screwy. I wack it one and it gets ok then it screws up again. Weird little beasty.

I want to put a set of RSW top triple clamps on my XR650L and a set of nice bars. I like Pro Tapers and would like to put those on but would also like to install a GPS and mount at some point. It looks like most GPS mounts are set up for 7/8 bars. Are any of you running a GPS mount on Pro-Tapers? Is there enough 7/8 bar on the ends of a Pro Taper bar to get a GPS mount on there, especially on the L where the bars are kind of busy with switches and perches?

Thanks!

Kelly

try this

IMG_3945.jpg

IMG_4004.jpg

IMG_3932.jpg

nice setup, thanks for posting!