XR650R No longer KING of Baja???

So does this solve the Honda mystery? There is no replacement for the 650R? How can we be sure? If there was a replacement, surely the Honda team would have just run the 650R again this year...

yes i belive you are right, if they are making a replacment they would have used the '07 BRP so that they keep the same group of riders buying the bigger bikes but this year they skip the 650 even though its still here for 07. im guess that the BRP will sitll be available for the next few years like the XR400 was available around here untill last month. just my $0.02

You can't win em all. Give your head a shake.The 650 is and always will be the KING of the desert.HALE & long live the KING!!!

?? "KTM could win easily"? I doubt it (same goes with any OEM). It takes more than fast riders and a solid bike to win down there. Honda has the logistics and crew down so well that it'd very tough for anyone to beat 'em in a long race (at this time).

There will not be a 2 thousand mile Baja race next year, no way. I'd bet about 1400 miles.

In '00 it was 1800+mi and that was a huge ordeal.

"same oil for the entire 1000 miles?" Yes. No sense in changing it regardless of bike.

Rumor has it that next year's 1000 will be to Cabo again. By the way, the 6th OA bike was a bone stock motor, suspension was done but the motor was stock (we brought it home on our trailer). The riders had a good pit program as well as talent so they ended up with a solid finish.

Riders on KTM has had some serious tries in all the Baja races. The bikes just haven't done it. Close and with great irders but, the bike just isn't for the long huel.

Yes,you all brought up good points,I concur with the 450 stock never finishing the race,this has been gone over and over and over,I feel that they wanted to let the 450 win to promote sales,KTMs lc4 640 enduro is a pile of straight junk,no matter whats said the XR650/600s Baja wins will never be approached by another bike,I dont think.

Didja see Oglivie's quote in Cycle News this week? Something to the effect of....."If the guys (Team Honda riders) weren't convinced about the 450X before, they are now. The 450X finishes better than the 650's ever did. It's still tight, fresh and strong"

Didja see Oglivie's quote in Cycle News this week? Something to the effect of....."If the guys (Team Honda riders) weren't convinced about the 450X before, they are now. The 450X finishes better than the 650's ever did. It's still tight, fresh and strong"

yeah..... I wonder how much Honda paid them to say that..... :worthy:

Yeah I noticed it. If it were true, he wouldn't have to say it. It would just be a given.

I think that the two kids, Norman and Bell, have no problem with the 450 because they are MXers, used to riding off road bikes built off of a mx platform.

But, I bet if you asked Henge and Childress what bike they could ride in Score and BITD they would still pick the 650R.

yeah..... I wonder how much Honda paid them to say that..... :worthy:

Lots $$$$$$

It would be cool if there was a stock class where the bikes couldn't be modified. We know who would win that one. :worthy:

It would be cool if there was a stock class where the bikes couldn't be modified. We know who would win that one. :worthy:

Not only that, but it would really give the winning bike manufacturer a place in the spot light. We just have to find a way to equalize all the riders too!! If that was possible we would really be able to see which bike rules whatever race.... wishful thinking I know.

Not only that, but it would really give the winning bike manufacturer a place in the spot light. We just have to find a way to equalize all the riders too!! If that was possible we would really be able to see which bike rules whatever race.... wishful thinking I know.

Geeeezzz....who gives a crap about "what" wins Baja....it's about WHO wins Baja. If you buy your bike based on how it does at the races.....

Geeeezzz....who gives a crap about "what" wins Baja....it's about WHO wins Baja. If you buy your bike based on how it does at the races.....

:worthy:

But, I bet if you asked Henge and Childress what bike they could ride in Score and BITD they would still pick the 650R.

While pre-running with one of those guys...I did ask...the answer was " I would pick the mans bike"

"Long Live The King" XR650 are like Camels in the desert they can go for ever with very little maintenance. You all know what KTM means? "Kan't Take Mexico"

if they made a wrf600 or 650 the picture would be very blue

if they made a wrf600 or 650 the picture would be very blue

Highly doubtful. It's the entire team effort that is winning in Baja, not the bike. Yamaha couldn't put together a team that would be competitive any time soon.

yeah i guess,

im not 100% familiar with the baja operations,since im on the opposite side of the world,but i do follow

however i would love to see 1 man , 1 machine and a 1000 miles of dust

with no outside help allowed ..how cool would that be