What chain for 650R? 60% street 40% dirt

I just got my R a month ago and am planning on plating it. I will end up with 60/40 street/dirt riding. I just had it in the woods for the first time last weekend. It has a o-ring chain and I bustid it 5 minutes into my maiden voyage. It has a 13 front and 48 rear on now from previous owner. I plan to get set of supermoto 17's for street with smaller rear sprocket on it but would like to keep the 13 front for easiness of wheel swap. I want something strong that will withstand mud and grime from time to time and still be smooth for the road supermoto trips.

What brand do yinz' suggest? riveted or master linked? O-ring vs standard?

And I noticed that my fork seals are leaking (when I had it strapped down in truck). Is there aftermarket ones out there that are better than stockers?

What weight oil is recommended for the forks and how many cc's?

Thanks.........PIP

Where are you guys coming up with the DID ERV x-ring only lasting one season? I just replaced my 2 1/2 year old ERV2 with an ERV3. I have NEVER lubed the 2 except for a little WD40 after a wash to keep it shiny.

I broke it in two places just for giggles when I took it off and there was still a ton of grease inside. I have a friend who needed to change the gearing on his 450X so he got some clip-style master links to put it back together. What a knucklehead :worthy:

DID ERV forever!

For the street you are going to want higher gearing. Get a 14 and 15 front sprocket. 13 for the tight stuff, 14 for more mild trails, and a 15 for the street. It's relatively easy to change the front sprocket.

You guys sound really tough on chains. My last chain, a RK O-ring, lasted for 4 years of riding every weekend. It wasn't even that bad when I replaced it, but the sprockets were shot. I got somewhere between 15 to 20 thousand miles on it. I always run a steel rear though and I think this has a lot to do with the long life.

Use a quality O-ring or X ring and use a masterlink. I know guys with everything you can do to an XR650R who use masterlinks and never have a problem. Shoot, I had a 1972 KZ900 drag bike with 1140cc's and everything else and for gearing changes sometimes I had 3 masters in it and it ran 9s....never broke a master!

On the seals yes do a search and yuoll find good seals. On the gearing, one of my XRs is a supermoto and you need at least 14~45 to get less revs and vibes on the freeway at 70 so go at least 14~45, I am at 14~42 and my SM XR does about 110mph....and is very nice at 70.

Thanks. I feel that a riveted chain prob would be less likely to bust IMO. At least that is all I run on my RC51 but I am not scared of a master linked chain. I will look into the DID ERV3.

What sprocket combo will a standard size 110 link chain fit? If I get a riveted chain and am swaping between 13/48 for woods and Oh maybe a 15/45 for street I don't wanna have to break chains to swap.

Thanks. I feel that a riveted chain prob would be less likely to bust IMO. At least that is all I run on my RC51 but I am not scared of a master linked chain. I will look into the DID ERV3. Any vender in particular that you guys have used? My sprockets look great but I always usually change them with new chains....... Thoughts?

What sprocket combo will a standard size 110 link chain fit? If I get a riveted chain and am swaping between 13/48 for woods and Oh maybe a 15/45 for street I don't wanna have to break chains to swap.

PIP

Hello sir,

You might want to look at rockymountain mc atv. They have x-ring chains that are about the cheapest made by "primary drive" right around $50. The tensile strength is given and it is about the same as all the rest. They are good people to order from, and their cataloge is pretty good, like chap.

The stock chain is a 110. You can use that I know up to a 15-45. However if you go to a 15-40 you need a 108 chain. If you keep switching between dirt and road the 14-45 and 15-45 combo's work pretty good. If you get out on the highway or you know you will have a while of street riding try the 15-40. You may like it. And surprisingly enough it isn't too bad for desert riding, or more open stuff. You can cruise at 75 and 80mph with no problem, and at 55 mph you can finally shift into 5th gear if you are just cruising around. You also get pretty good mileage at 52 mpg, you get 48 with 15-45. And you can carry wheelies for a long time in second, with a little help from the clutch.

It is amazing that if you stay out of the dirt and mud your chain and sprockets last soooo much longer. Even the sliders last a lot longer. I mean a lot! Thousands of miles longer. Just dual sporting "to work and trails I could only get a year out of any chain and steel sprockets. Didn't matter. And that was totally wasted chain and sprockets. "Stretching big time and sometimes broke off teeth in back."

I bet you are going to have a good time with yours. Let us know how it turns out with a picture or something.