best bike to convert

If you plan to stay in Mass. IMO the XR650 is too big and heave for tight NE trails.

though I have a converted 450 EXC and love it, if your going to convert I'd take a hard look at WR 450's. They have proven reliability and with the 07 hitting the show rooms with aluminum frames I believe it'll push the pre Al. prices lower. Also, there are allot of WR die hards that'll be itching to dump their steel frame WR's for the new one.

I recently sold a 06 WR450. Loved the bike! It would have made a great DS bike but I preferred to stick with the EXC.

Things to consider for converting are how the MSO or Title is marked. If it says 'off road use only' or 'competition use only' your state may be tougher to get a registration.

In general, most Yam, Suz, Hon, and Kaw paperwork will say one of the above. The KTM likely will not (race bike or not) . Not sure about pre-dot legal Husky's

In my state, if the title or MSO does not say any of the above you can get a PA registration and plate at the time of purchase or transfer. Then its up to you to satisfy a local inspection station for the sticker.

If you have a easy state to satisfy the WR is my choice for a low dollar DS bike with capability.

If you must convert, consider converting from the Asian bike paradigm. Look into the 06 to 07 husky TE 450 and up. Street legal, e-start, 6-speed and semi-light.

They are typically $800 to $1000 cheaper than the new KTM EXC Ws.

I agree. The cant convert any 5 speed to a 6 and now you cant make a non street legal bike street legal anymore.

Just buy a 07 EXC 450,, it's the best for what you want it for. It's a true "Dirt Bike" that comes street legal,, no brainer...

Just got mine (07 TE 450) from GP in SD. Runs better than new (nudge, nudge, wink, wink).

The e-start is awesome.