HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
99yz125

newer 450s

7 posts in this topic

so ive been looking at new like 05 or 06 yz450fs and i was wondering what is a good price. also whta should i be looking out for. ive been looking at the rdiators and oil levels. also how are the jd jet kits. i have a 03 yz250f and love the reliablity. but im selling my old 99 yz125 and have some money im gonna save up but what is a good price. also what is your opinions about the factory 4.1 and the mega bomb

'06 is supposedly a lot better than the '05 but they will also be much more expensive since it is the next gen 450. I personally have an '03 that treats me very well. Of course the newer bike is always going to be better... but I dunno, you can get killer deals on the steel framed YZ450Fs.

The JDjetkit is fantastic. I have one on my 450 and it provided a noticeable gain in power. It revs cleaner and quicker and all I have to do is mess with my fuel screw before every ride.

I have heard nothing but good from the 4.1. I believe the megabomb is intended for use w/quiet mufflers so you might be better off w/the powerbomb. I personally have a Dr.D system which I like a lot. The Dr.D system gives me crap loads of low end and midrange so it makes it even easier to ride than ever.

'06 is supposedly a lot better than the '05 but they will also be much more expensive since it is the next gen 450. I personally have an '03 that treats me very well. Of course the newer bike is always going to be better... but I dunno, you can get killer deals on the steel framed YZ450Fs.
There's nothing supposed about it. The new bike is 10 years ahead of the old design. They weigh the same, but the new one feels 30 pounds lighter. It feels like a two stroke. A light one. Night and day doesn't begin to cover it. Unless they'll sell the '05 for less than $4k, and you just don't have any money, get the '06. Trust me. Or ride one.

yah im trying to get my friend to let me ride his but he doesnt ride much so it stays in the garage. im thinking about getting a big gun or whitebros pipe but the 4.1 dud cross my mind.

My 03 has a JD jet kit with a FMF 4.1 and powerbomb header, it flies. I race the Vet C Class at Southwick and I can beat guys on new 06's. :worthy:

I think the only reason your beating those guys on their 06's is because your a better rider. If you got on an 06 you would probably be even faster. The 03 has a butt load of power, but it is not as managable as the 06, and it doesn't handle turns nearly as well. just my .02

I think the only reason your beating those guys on their 06's is because your a better rider. If you got on an 06 you would probably be even faster. The 03 has a butt load of power, but it is not as managable as the 06, and it doesn't handle turns nearly as well. just my .02
As you may notice, I own one of each. I can tell you for an absolute certainty that Ranger is right.

In the first place, the '03 does not have more power than the '06. The '06 will dyno out with around two more at peak. Side-by-side on asphalt, my two bikes run dead even until well up into 3rd, where the '06 starts to show a slight edge. In the dirt, the so-called "soft" power of the '06 just makes it more manageable, and lowers your lap times. It gives up nothing to the '03 except a little ability to scare the crap out of you when you aren't paying attention.

I can beat guys on new '06's with my '03, too. I turned inside of one at Amago one day. How embarrassing do you suppose that was? But, I'm a hell of a lot faster on the '06.

But, there are guys who can beat me on either bike. Some of them could beat me in a lime green wheelbarrow. There's some others I could beat so easy it wouldn't even be fun for more than ten minutes, no matter what either of us rode. That''s not the point. The '06 is better. Way, way better.