First time jetting

I ordered the AIS removal kit, JD jetting kit, and fuel screw from the TT store which should be arriving in a few days. I know little to nothing about jetting and carbeuration. Are there any special tricks I should know? Is there anything else I should be doing while I have the gas tank off and carb out?

I asked this question in the carbeuration forum but did not get an answer. I see that the JD jet kit comes with main jets and needles but what about the leak jet and pilot jet? Do I buy these separately? Thanks everyone.

make sure to check out these tutorials for jetting and AIS removal

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=309069

good luck. i've had good success using indy's jetting guide as a place to start.

I agree with using Indy's jetting guide as a place to start. But the best resource is the link above to Arin's DIY jetting guide WITH pictures. This is a priceless piece of work. Helped me tremendously.

Cheers.

I have an 04 WR450 and run all stock except the needle and main... the bike runs good, I'm sure it could be better but it runs good with just the basic JD kit.

You can go crazy with jetting or just jet to get the job done, the choice is yours.

Thanks everybody, I feel more comfortable doing the work myself now. I am still wondering though; do I need to buy leak jets, starter jets, and pilot jets separately from the JD jet kit?

the JD kit only comes with an assortment of main jets, so you'll have to buy the rest seperately.

i called sudco, and they were helpful and fairly cheap. if you talk to the sales guys and tell them you have a 39mm Keihin FCR carb, they can hook you up with some jets. it was much cheaper and easier than dealing with the part monkeys at your local dealership.

I ordered the AIS removal kit, JD jetting kit, and fuel screw from the TT store which should be arriving in a few days. I know little to nothing about jetting and carbeuration. Are there any special tricks I should know? Is there anything else I should be doing while I have the gas tank off and carb out?

I asked this question in the carbeuration forum but did not get an answer. I see that the JD jet kit comes with main jets and needles but what about the leak jet and pilot jet? Do I buy these separately? Thanks everyone.

Could be the reason you didn't get an answer in the carb forum is because there are so many things you can do to alter the carburator, AIS, cam, etc. (all inter-related) that alter performance that nobody has a single answer. One has to take a few things apart and then refer to this whole site to dig up info on that item (most likely its here). One has to gain at least a basic understanding of what your trying to modify and be more concise in what you ask.

So why are you guys removing the AIS, is there a big gain? I ride an 01 WR426 and mine is still on the carb and the bike runs like new.

I'll give you $100 if you can send me a pic of the AIS on your bike...:worthy:

The AIS didn't show up until '05, so you ain't got one...SC

My question was if I had to buy the pilot jet, starter jet, and leak jet seperately from the JD jet kit - concisely. Otherwise I am just looking for general advice since this will be my first time venturing into a carbeurator.

Thanks everybody for your input. I think this will be fairly easy to do with all of the clear explanations and pictures here on TT. :worthy: