AC/DC sucks..

Greetings from the cold North,Sweden.:worthy:

First time poster,long time reader with a Newbie question.

Whats the point of the AC/DC Elec.system on the BRP? Why didnt the just settle for the DC and everyone should be happy,right?

The night starts early now days (03:00)pm and i need some better headlight on the bike.

I`ve read that some people rewind their stator to achieve a bigger output,but i also saw that you can buy new 200w stators on Ebay. How much power can the Org Rectifier handle?

If i decide to go with Xenon do i have to use another rectifier to achieve DC?

Many questions and i`m sure many of them has been answerd in the past but i could find the answer to these when i used the Search function.

Thanks for a great forum and i`m looking forward to spend some time here.:D

When you use a rectifier to go to DC you get a voltage drop. Having a rectifier that handles all 200 watts is also a challange. I use a 25 amp Rectifier for just 80 watts DC and run 120 watts AC for the 100 watt Baja light. The main light stays brighter and you can run a second smaller light for back up. I run two voltage regulators, the stock XR650R stetup is AC only here and there is No rectifier so there is no DC. You can run a small battery off the 80 watt DC side and then a Small HID light, GPS, blinkers and such on the bike.

The stock rec/reg will handle one of the two available outputs from the 200w stator but youll ned another rectifire, or a ACregulator for the other side. The trick thing most do is run the headlights off one of the 100w outputs, the other thru a rec/reg to the rest of the accessories. This is good for two reasons, first you can get A serrious set of desert lamps like the dual ones they use for Baja from Ricky stator or Baja Designs, and run over 100watts of light, and the accessories off of the other of the dual outputs. You will neeed to regulate the AC side so it doesn't blow the lamps with a heavy duty regulator though. No biggie. I am going to do this on my supermoto this comming weekend.

The XR650R came with AC and DC on some of the non US models.

True,i have the European modell and it comes with AC to the headlight and the rest of the electric is DC.

I`ve heard a reason for this could be cost. Its cheaper to design a high current AC system then a equal DC system.?

True,i have the European modell and it comes with AC to the headlight and the rest of the electric is DC.

I`ve heard a reason for this could be cost. Its cheaper to design a high current AC system then a equal DC system.?

In a sence, it would cost more and be heavier if you had a regulator/rectifire or two to take a high output stator. The reason they do it the way they do it is because the headlight can run off of AC and it is better to run the accessories and the rest of the lighting system off of the DC side of a rectifire. Id personally go with the system as is and add a battery on the DC side so the lights will work when the motor is not running. The way I described to wire it in my previuous post is the best and most accepted way to do it per BD and Ricky stator. Easiest and most reliable too. See the schmatic shown above, that thing they are calling a condensor is probably a big heavy duty capacitor used as a battery eliminator. Here in the US most states require a battery in the system because that is the only way the lights can stay on for the required 10 minutes without the motor running.

Your bike has a different stator than the US models too, yours has two windings, one for the AC circuit and one for the DC circuit so the output you get will be different than what we get as we only have one small winding and one AC regulator.

Baja Designs sells a headlight upgrade that replaces the stock plastic unit with a glass one that runs an H3 bulb.

If I were you I would get that and run the 100Watt bulb and see if the AC regulator can handle it. I would bet money that it will since everything else you have is coming off a different winding.

If it can't handle the 100 Watt bulb you can go to a 55 Watt with and still be way better off than the stock setup.

Your bike has a different stator than the US models too, yours has two windings, one for the AC circuit and one for the DC circuit so the output you get will be different than what we get as we only have one small winding and one AC regulator.

Baja Designs sells a headlight upgrade that replaces the stock plastic unit with a glass one that runs an H3 bulb.

If I were you I would get that and run the 100Watt bulb and see if the AC regulator can handle it. I would bet money that it will since everything else you have is coming off a different winding.

If it can't handle the 100 Watt bulb you can go to a 55 Watt with and still be way better off than the stock setup.

Did you see a diagrahm of his stator? How many poles were wound? If all the poles were wound then he as about 210W total or 105w per output of AC current menaing he can easliy run a 100W bulb in the headlight.

I posted the diagram in post #9. It does not show how many poles are wound.

It does show three seperate windings, one for ignition, one for AC system, and one for DC system.

Beelzeboss, you could pop off your left side cover and see how many windings each circuit has. That would give you an idea of their outputs.

Or you could measure the current flow and voltage and calculate it if you have a meter.

I did read that some people with good electric skills has unwound the two(?) AC spools and replaced the wire with larger gauge wire to acheive a higher current. They also wound up more wire than original to fill the spool up.

This seem to be the easiest way to achive some more power to the headlight?:worthy:

If you are running the stock headlight your problem isn't with the amount of power the stator is providing it is that the headlight is a piece of shit 35W incandescent bulb.

Upgrade the headlight to a halogen unit and you will be amazed at the difference and your stock stator will most definately support a 55W H3 bulb, maybe even a 100W one.

In that diagram you showed, it only shows the winding for the pulser coil, which on the stator is two poles, and the dual output windings for the two outputs. It doesnt tell what the output total is for the stator or AC generator of the stator. On a stator the outputs are allways AC so the thing about one being "for AC" and one being "for DC is only because of the way it is wired stock. You could use either for either. Ill look for the output rating for the stock stator....I beleive it was 185watts stock for the NON US model. I can't find any real concrete information on the model he has. Do you have a manual for your XR650R? If you have the owners manual it will tell you what the stator output is. I still think it is around 185w or more as the US models have only a few poles would other than the ignition poles which don;t count in total wattage. So I think you cna put on at least a 100w bulb in the headlight and youll know right away if itll work.

• 3 weeks later...

I rewound my Headlight spools today and its a big,big improvement. I also replaced the org headlight with a Hella H4 unit with 55/60w lamp.

Hella has an headlight that fits like a glove and the only thing that will have to be done is to add two L-shaped pieces of sheet Alu to be able to mount it on to the bracket.

The European verison has all spools wound.?