press fit masterlink

What's the best way to remove a press fit master link on a drive chain?

Assuming you mean that it's a clip type link that press fits together, remove the clip and use a chain breaker to push it apart.

If you mean the riveted type (no clip) use a chain breaker.

What's the best way to remove a press fit master link on a drive chain?

Angle grinder.

Angle grinder.
You could hand file it off, too.

He said, "the best way". Everyone who owns a spark plug wrench should have a chain breaker.

I use a flat blade screw driver and pry it off. I usually can get the plate off faster than the guy at Sears can replace my screwdriver.

You could hand file it off, too.

He said, "the best way". Everyone who owns a spark plug wrench should have a chain breaker.

I assumed since he was asking, he meant "the best way" without the right tool. I will concede to my method being the second best way. However, the angle grinder is faster and easier to find.

Thanks for the replies. Gray, do you put the chain breaker on each pin and then the pins do not go out the other plate like on the other links of the chain when you break it?

There are two basic types of chain breaker, both shown here.

The 805173 on the right is the type you're thinking of. It drives the pins out one at a time, and removes them from both plates. It's useful for O-ring chains because the other type tends to pull the inner plates off of the roller sleeves.

The 805000 is an older design. It grips the chain by the near side inner plate and pushes the pin out of the near side outer plate without removing it from the far side outer plate. This means that it's necessary to "walk" the link out, pushing some on one pin, then some on the other, but it makes it ideal for pushing a tightly pressed master link, like those used on the Regina premium chains, off the chain neatly, with no hammers, screwdrivers, or damage to the O-rings. Either of these from Regina are shop quality professional grade tools that you can get for about $35 each.

Thanks Gray. I'll buy that older design chain breaker.