building a xr650l to be a light weight beast!!

I Have Almost Completed My Dream Xr650l And I Just Wanted To Tell Someone And Maybe Get Some Comments. I Started By Removing The Heavy Elec Start System And All Its Components And I Now Have A Working Kick Start System. I Have Also Gotten Rid Of That Ugly Heavy Battery Box And Installed A 2000 Model Xr600r Side Cover In Place Of The Original Cover That Is Molded To Fit Around The Old Battery Box,the New Cover Fits Perfect And Is Flat And Awesome Looking. I Did A Little Testing And Found That The Engine Runs Without A Battery But I Didnt Have Any Lights, So After A Little Research I Found The Battery Eliminator And If All Goes Well I Should Have Lights Once This Is Installed.(its Just A Capaciter To Complete The Circuit And Absorb The Voltage From The Rec/reg). When I Originally Started The Project I Removed The Signals And All The Usual Smog Garbage And Uncorked The Air Box And Jetted The Carb And Installed The Newest Big Gun Complete Exhaust System And My Hp Went From Stock 33hp To 38.5 Just From The Airbox And Exhaust Mods. I Have Not Completed This Last Stage Of This Bike Transformation Because I Am Waiting For My Crankshaft To Be Repaired,you See The Crankshaft On 650l Is About An Inch And A Half Or So Longer Than A Xr600 Because Of The Starter Gears On The Back Of The Flywheel And I Couldn't Get The Xr600 Stator Cover To Fit Because It Was Not Deep Enough Because Of The Extended Crank And Flywheel. Well If All Goes Well It Will Be Cut To Length And Taper Just Like A Xr600r Crank And With A Xr600r Flywheel All Should Be Good And Very Light And With A 3lb Lighter Flywheel This Thing Should Really Turn Up A Lot Quicker. When I Have The Crank Back And The Cases Back Together I Will Be Installing A New Wiseco 10.25-1 Piston And A Little Head Porting And Then Back To The Dyno To See What The Light Flywheel And More Compression Has Done For Me. I Know Some Of You Guys Will Think I Have Lost My Mind By Removing The Elec Start But I Don't Mind Kicking My Machine And I Want It As Light As Possible And As Fast As Possible And As Close As I Can Figure The Bike Will Weigh I At Around 285 Or 290 And That Is A Big Difference From The Original Weight Of 330lbs. Well I Have About Typed Out But Let Me Finish By Saying When All Of This Is Finished And Tested And All Goes Well I Will Be Installing A Pair Of 83 Xl600 Dual Carbs To Complete This Ultimate Xr. Glenn

I Have Almost Completed My Dream Xr650l And I Just Wanted To Tell Someone And Maybe Get Some Comments. I Started By Removing The Heavy Elec Start System And All Its Components And I Now Have A Working Kick Start System. I Have Also Gotten Rid Of That Ugly Heavy Battery Box And Installed A 2000 Model Xr600r Side Cover In Place Of The Original Cover That Is Molded To Fit Around The Old Battery Box,the New Cover Fits Perfect And Is Flat And Awesome Looking. I Did A Little Testing And Found That The Engine Runs Without A Battery But I Didnt Have Any Lights, So After A Little Research I Found The Battery Eliminator And If All Goes Well I Should Have Lights Once This Is Installed.(its Just A Capaciter To Complete The Circuit And Absorb The Voltage From The Rec/reg). When I Originally Started The Project I Removed The Signals And All The Usual Smog Garbage And Uncorked The Air Box And Jetted The Carb And Installed The Newest Big Gun Complete Exhaust System And My Hp Went From Stock 33hp To 38.5 Just From The Airbox And Exhaust Mods. I Have Not Completed This Last Stage Of This Bike Transformation Because I Am Waiting For My Crankshaft To Be Repaired,you See The Crankshaft On 650l Is About An Inch And A Half Or So Longer Than A Xr600 Because Of The Starter Gears On The Back Of The Flywheel And I Couldn't Get The Xr600 Stator Cover To Fit Because It Was Not Deep Enough Because Of The Extended Crank And Flywheel. Well If All Goes Well It Will Be Cut To Length And Taper Just Like A Xr600r Crank And With A Xr600r Flywheel All Should Be Good And Very Light And With A 3lb Lighter Flywheel This Thing Should Really Turn Up A Lot Quicker. When I Have The Crank Back And The Cases Back Together I Will Be Installing A New Wiseco 10.25-1 Piston And A Little Head Porting And Then Back To The Dyno To See What The Light Flywheel And More Compression Has Done For Me. I Know Some Of You Guys Will Think I Have Lost My Mind By Removing The Elec Start But I Don't Mind Kicking My Machine And I Want It As Light As Possible And As Fast As Possible And As Close As I Can Figure The Bike Will Weigh I At Around 285 Or 290 And That Is A Big Difference From The Original Weight Of 330lbs. Well I Have About Typed Out But Let Me Finish By Saying When All Of This Is Finished And Tested And All Goes Well I Will Be Installing A Pair Of 83 Xl600 Dual Carbs To Complete This Ultimate Xr. Glenn

Wow. A+ for effort, no doubt. :worthy:

Just curious, and please don't take this as a jab, but why start with the L, when there are so many other machines that are naturally closer to your goal as they come from the factory? The most convenient example is the 650R.

Show us some pics, if you can. You have stoked my curiosity.

I Will Have All E-start Parts For Sale As Soon As I Have Completed The Engine, All Of The Parts Are 07 With 400 Miles On Them. I Used All New Honda Parts Including Engine Covers, I Am A Technition At A Honda Dealership And I Get All My Parts At Cost But This Project Is Still Expensive. When I Am Finished I Should Bacicaly Have A Stroked Xr600r With About 50+ Hp. Glenn

you should sell that crf and keep the real original true thumper!!! the new 450s haul ass but in no way should be called a thumper, a true thumper to me and most old schoolers would be the old yamaha tt500 and xt 550 and 600 series and the big bore kawasakis. the best thumper to me was the xr/xl 600 series and honda just doesn't make what i want so i am creating the package with all honda parts myself. the new 4-strokes rev like 2 strokes and don't have the bottom end thump of the real thumpers and they are known for chunking rods and valves like nothin. glenn

you lost your mind buy removing the e-start would be better to lose 10 lb by diet

I don't agree with the comment about him losing his mind removing the e-start. Some guys put an e-start on the XRR. I don't have one on mine. It's personal preference. If he's happy with his project, good on him. :worthy:

This thread however; is useless without pics. :D

Pics Will Be Posted When The Project Is Finised And I Will Include All Info You Will Need To Do The Complete Job. I Know There Is Some Old Hard Core Thumper Lovers Out There That Want A Xr650l That Runs Like The Old Xrs/xls And Weighs A Lot Less Than The Standard Xr650l With That Nice Suspension The Ls Have.

Glenn, Sounds like a great project...Keep us updated....:worthy:

Post some pics if you can.......

:bonk:?

I can appreciate the time and effort a person puts into any bike to make it better, but is this the platform to build on? If the same effort and money were put into a new 650XRR, can you understand the difference the outcome would be? If not, post the pictures of your dream project soon so we can hopefully understand your passion to build the lightest XR650L. If done right, it will be a great Honda to love and own no doubt...

:ride::D:prof:

show me a 60mm single and i would be glad to try it, i'm starting to wonder about this site and it seems like there is alot of smarts ass people with useless comments about grammer and engine theory and they are so lost but they continue to blow crap with every breath and i think i have heard enough and i will be moving on with my 40 years of knowledge and i hope the serious thumpers will remove the trolls from this site. bye!!!:worthy:

I Will Be Installing A Pair Of 83 Xl600 Dual Carbs To Complete This Ultimate Xr. Glenn

I just finish reading your thread (Too Many Caps:naughty: ) I could swear that I've seen posts about dual carbs and how awful they are. Mainly, they are a nightmare to get in synch; unsteady idle; and difficult jetting. Nevertheless, it'll be interesting to see them on the xl. Let us know how it goes. And pics please!