HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dustykat

YZ 426, using replacement threads in the oil filter cover bolt area.

7 posts in this topic

So, it finaly happened. The oil drain bolt in my YZ 426 pulled it's threads out of the case. I knew it was coming as the guy I bought the bike off of told me they were "kinda loose" what ever that ment.

But anyway, what is the prevaling opinion on using a replacement thread kit in this area. I know the little prong off the thread coil will be importaint to find but will the threads hold well enough to do this or am I stuck with buying a case half?:D:worthy::prof:

Thanks

Same thing happened to my '02...reported cause was user neglecting to flush out the threaded holes with WD (or the like) during oil changes.

I was able to 'heli-coil' all three holes back to the original size without removing cases and got all new bolts (OEM) and it's good as new. :worthy:

Helicoils will last longer and be stronger than the original thread was, as far as finding the little tang goes, I modifed a pair of small needle nose pliers to grab it with, work it back and forth and plull it out, I also installed magnetic drain plugs when I was done.

Mike

Ok guys, sounds good. But what size should I look for? Also where did you buy your Helicoil sets?

Thanks!

:worthy: