Rekluse Questions...

I've decided to buy a Rekluse clutch and I have a couple of questions.

1) Is the rear brake kit worth $200? Is there a cheaper solution somewhere else?

2) Should I use the dual brake option so I can still keep my foot brake? Seems like a waist to keep the foot brake if you can use a handbrake instead. If I do go with the handbrake option, how do I make my brake light switch work? Right now it screws into the rear brake master cylinder.

3) Should I keep the hand clutch and buy the perch adjuster for it? How do you adjust the clutch if you don't have the Perch Adjuster? Is it worth $100? I would also have to buy a different clutch cable for $40!

4) How hard is it to install? I've never worked on a clutch before. Will I need any special tools?

I've decided to buy a Rekluse clutch and I have a couple of questions.

1) Is the rear brake kit worth $200? Is there a cheaper solution somewhere else?

2) Should I use the dual brake option so I can still keep my foot brake? Seems like a waist to keep the foot brake if you can use a handbrake instead. If I do go with the handbrake option, how do I make my brake light switch work? Right now it screws into the rear brake master cylinder.

3) Should I keep the hand clutch and buy the perch adjuster for it? How do you adjust the clutch if you don't have the Perch Adjuster? Is it worth $100? I would also have to buy a different clutch cable for $40!

4) How hard is it to install? I've never worked on a clutch before. Will I need any special tools?

The hand brake is definatley worth it. It is totally awesome. It will suck to ride a bike with a foot brake after you get used to it. I looked far and wide for a cheaper solution to Rekluses $200.00 setup. Couldnt find anything really worth it. I would ditch the foot brake. Its definalty not worth the $400.00 to run the dual setup. I tried the perch adjuster, while it does work, I didnt think it worked well. You lose the 'feel' of a normal clutch and the perch adjuster needed constant adjustment. Once I got the external adjuster set where I liked it I havent touched it since. If you do want the perch adjuster, I could sell you mine for cheap. As far as install, its pretty easy. I am not exactly sharp when it comes to mechanical things:busted: . I did mine with no major issues. Just read the directions first, so you get an idea of what you are doing. Then follow them step by step. You will be fine. I think feeler guages and a torqe wrench are the only special tools you need. I thought I should have both of those anyways so I just bought them. Good luck, you are soon to find a new love.:worthy:

No big tug, I use only my index fingers on the front and rear brake and can lock either one at will. I dont have Popeye forearms!!!

I dont miss the foot brake at all.

Follow the well written instructions and you will have great results.

Phone support is great, they always want to make sure that I am happy!

I have done what you are thinking of doing, I highly recommend it.

I bought the magura clutch and had a braided line made up.

The only thing is to remember to use silicon based brake fluid as it is compatiable with both the magura and the rear caliper.

1 finger will lock the rear wheel easily.

Sir,

Do you have any pics of this setup? It sounds like the way to go. You seem to be a very resourceful dirtbloke. Have you tried a trials tyre on your bike? That combination would then be quite a remarkable setup. You could ride up any hill

Sir,

Do you have any pics of this setup? It sounds like the way to go. You seem to be a very resourceful dirtbloke. Have you tried a trials tyre on your bike? That combination would then be quite a remarkable setup. You could ride up any hill

I think that if you were to use the trials tyre with the rekluse, you would soon be joining the losing team. imo

Going downhill would have a whole new meaning

I have the perch adjuster and while I seldom find the need to use it there are sometimes that I’m glad I have it.

1) When down shifting, especially when I’m riding on the street. Without it the trans takes quite a hit when downshifting.

2) A couple of times I have stalled on a hill climb. When I restart the bike it’s nice to be able to pull the clutch in and rev the bike a few times to clear it out.

3) It’s nice a times to be able to flick the clutch to loft the front wheel.

Just my 2 cents worth

Do you really need to flick the clutch to loft the front wheel on a 450. I have never needed to do that, is it just me?:worthy:

You busting my chops B&B? :D On an open trail or when you can see an obstacle coming I agree, no need to flick the clutch just lean back a bit and roll the throttle. But riding in the woods you occasionally come upon a downed tree after a blind turn. :prof:

I have a 03 450 and have all the trick Rekluse goods, it's well worth the $$

I chose to keep the foot brake but can't say I use it, the hand lever is superior to the foot! I also have the perch adjuster and am happy for the "trail side adj", I did not replace either the clutch pack or the cable. I have over 2000 trail miles on the bike, a 6 day-800 mile race, and lots of play time, no issues. I check and adjust about once a year or 500 mi?

I have 5 bikes now and have converted all of them to the Rekluse set up with hand brakes. You will not be disapointed.

As far as track, the YZ 450 rips with the Rekluse no more stalls!!! put it in

3rd and twist the gas! Depending on your preferance, adjust the engagement to allow enjine braking or free wheel.

The best $$$ spent on any bike!!!

I think that if you were to use the trials tyre with the rekluse, you would soon be joining the losing team. imo

Going downhill would have a whole new meaning

Funny enough I have a Rekluse and just posted a review of the Dunlop 803 in the Off-Road forum: https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=441557

You can lock up a knobby on a downhill and it will slide. With the trials tire it might slide a little bit when you first lock it up, but will eventually grab and bring you to a full stop. After almost going over the bars the first time, I learned to drag the rear brake on downhills.

Jerry

You busting my chops B&B? :D On an open trail or when you can see an obstacle coming I agree, no need to flick the clutch just lean back a bit and roll the throttle. But riding in the woods you occasionally come upon a downed tree after a blind turn. :prof:

No sir, I wasnt bustin on ya. I was honestly just curious. I just always lean back, blip the throttle, and up she comes. Thanks for the reply. :worthy: