HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
2000 xr650r

Switching filter and need advise.

6 posts in this topic

On a xr650r, I am switching out my K&N filter for a UNI with xrs only backfire screen. Does anyone have experience with both filters? I assume the UNI will richen it up if anything. Or does the UNI flow the same or more? Thank you.

I don't think you'll notice any difference in airflow. But I know the UNI cleans fine dust better than the free flowing K&N. One look at your air intake and you already know this. I am wondering if you are switching because of this or the fact that the K&N is a pain to clean as well.

I don't believe the Uni will change your jetting ....

But I do believe the Uni is a better filter..:worthy:

:D:prof:

I am wondering if you are switching because of this or the fact that the K&N is a pain to clean as well.

I never though it was hard to clean if you have the K&N oil and cleaner. Yes I noticed fine dust in the airbox. I always kept it clean and i ride dual sport so there is not a vast amount of dust anyway. Also wondering if you guys use special rim grease on the UNI or just standard grease like Conoco or Mobil in the tube?

I have the XR's Only screen. It's not as free-flowing as you'd think. I made marks where the side panel pushes on it, and cut 4 large holes out of the screen. MUCH BETTER!

BackfireScreen03.jpg

I'm told with a Uni filter, you don't need a backfire screen. I think it has a support built in. I use a stock replacement Twin Air with my customized XR's Only back fire screen.

P.S. Other than structural strength, you don't need a backfire screen. The factory adds it as a "safety feature," but trust me, if you burn your air filter, you have much bigger engine issues to worry about.

My personal recommendation is a Twin Air powerflow kit. $39.99 from Chaparral. http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Chaparral/productr.asp?pf_id=W22-428&mscssid=21C4EFC6D58B47ABA424D32665D4101F&Gift=false&GiftID=

For some reason, the 650R kit is not in the USA Twin Air website, but I called them with the part numbers, and you can order straight from Twin Air. $47.99 for the kit - Part #150506c. $32.99 for replacement filters - Part #150506.