HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
davo ttt

lifespan of front fork seals

21 posts in this topic

i have a wr450 06 ive got 300 miles on the clock and i seem to have slight oil leak on the front left is this normal after such a short period i havent done any jumps just trails and if it needs new seals can it be done easily?

You probably just have a bit of crap stuck in there mate, do the film/card trick to clean them out and you should be good. Just pry the dust seal out first.

A blown forkseal will spew out nearly all the oil everywhere - big mess.

Hey Davo,

Get some sealsavers. I have well over 2K miles with them and haven't had a leak since. :worthy:

sealsavers look like this they are neoprene they are supposed to work good you wseal-savers-colors.jpg

ill have to look them up

Try these. http://www.krewmx.com/equipment.htm You do not have too remove your forks to take them on and off and you can clean them after every ride. Also after washing your bike spray the lower fork legs with silicone spray and remove and clean the lower wiper every now and then.

I too have a 06 wr450 with only 650 miles and lost a fork seal took to shop cost me 280.00 for both forks hope this isn't a common problem

well i done the film/card trick and thnx to wasabi it seems to have worked .glad i didnt take it to the shop

I too have a 06 wr450 with only 650 miles and lost a fork seal took to shop cost me 280.00 for both forks hope this isn't a common problem

:worthy: Did you walk out with a revalve and new springs or what???

well i done the film/card trick and thnx to wasabi it seems to have worked .glad i didnt take it to the shop

They are easy to replace and a pair of seals is like $40 for us Davo.....

Great explination Davo, I must try this with mine, when i find some camera film negatives, been using digicam for so long now...............

LeakyForks1.jpg

i didnt use any replacement parts just camera negative film i also found this on tt :worthy:http://www.cajunmx.com/forkseal.htm

Very nice step by step instructions. I didn't realize you had to slide the fork seal covers down.

And I used those magazine subscription return mail cards (like the dozen or so that fall out of the Dirt Rider magazine) instead of a film negative. I think I read on TT that someone used business cards with great results. So is it OK to use those cards (or business cards) instead of the film negative?

I would be afraid any type of paper could get oil soaked ans stay embedded under the seal, i will have to try harder to find some old negatives.

LeakyForks.jpg