06 YZ 450 - How Do I get To the Carb?

So I want to install new pilot and main jets, but man, the carb sure is packed in there. What are the suggested methods to get the carb out or work on it to replace the jets...I was starting to take the float bowl off, but it seems like it would be much easier if I could get carb out or remove the rear shock perhaps to do the work? Help!!!

Just loosen the rear and front allen heads - twist it and it is pretty accessible (I do lean the bike way over on the stand). Also did the needle jet w/o taking it completely off this way

I have tried your approach of loosening the the allen heads. While the carb can be turned a bit, it still seems very restricted. I was able do this on my WR, but for this bike, the frame really gets in the way. I don't follow your thoughts on leaning the bike over? Not sure what this accomplishes?

I try again, but even after loosing the bolts and trying to turn the carb, it only moves a small bit, not really that much. Maybe it's just me. :cheers:

I tried the method that Ga426owner recommends.. I layed the bike on it's side and than you can see the pilot jet up inside. I still had trouble getting to it until I removed the main jet, than it was no problem..you just need a short screw driver... Regardless of how you do it, it is a pain in the a$$...but the method above works pretty good once you figure it out, probably a 10 or 15 minute job at most...

I have'nt messed with our 07 yet but they told me at the shop I bought it from that they change the main and the pilot without even loosening and /or turning the carb. Can anyone verify this. Also I forgot to ask them if they take the whole bowl off or if they can get to the pilot just by taking out the big nut for easy acces to the main. Anyone know?

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure why your all messing with the motor mounts. I just got done changing out the main, pilot, needle and added a zipty FMS screw and didn't have to touch the motor mounts. I did take off the seat, shrouds (added the Works connection radiator cages? while I was at it), tank and then the hot start plunger and was able to swivel it all I needed without any interference. Total process for all of that minus the WC cages was maybe 15 minutes tops. I just thought I'd share my experience since I am about as green as they come when working on bikes but working on the carb was a piece of cake compared to what I thought it would be having read all these posts. I appreciate this thread though as I did almost exaclty what was recommended and it went smooth.

I'm not sure why your all messing with the motor mounts. I just got done changing out the main, pilot, needle and added a zipty FMS screw and didn't have to touch the motor mounts. I did take off the seat, shrouds (added the Works connection radiator cages? while I was at it), tank and then the hot start plunger and was able to swivel it all I needed without any interference. Total process for all of that minus the WC cages was maybe 15 minutes tops. I just thought I'd share my experience since I am about as green as they come when working on bikes but working on the carb was a piece of cake compared to what I thought it would be having read all these posts. I appreciate this thread though as I did almost exaclty what was recommended and it went smooth.

the 2 brackets above the carb - take all of 30sec to remove.....I remove these to remove the carb from the bike...makes getting to the needle jet very easy too

That's cool. I was just assuming things were going to be really cramped but I had plenty of room to work. People made it sound like getting to the carb was a chore but it doesn't seem any more difficult then my '04 WR450. I'm definitely not complaining though!?